1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Libya

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lapinrose, Mar 24, 2016.

1. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

2. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

By visiting Gaddafi's regime weren't you supporting a dictatorship?

3. lapinrose

lapinrose Star commenter

Libya, under Gaddhafi, was a stable and safe country. The population had water, electricity, internet, health treatment. Women were given 5,000 $ on the birth of a child, university fees were £9 a year. Lots of Libyans were funded by the Government to study here, Europe or in the USA. The great man'made river was built to bring water from the south to the north of the country. Historic sites were protected and looked after. The warring tribes were kept apart.
    I know which I would prefer!
    The same applies to Iraq and now Syria.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  4. FrankWolley

I think that's either naive or worse.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

I was there 2004-5 and what lapinrose says is true. Also in the cities newly married couples were given an apartment. There were also restrictions that we in the West would not tolerate but the person I discussed this with said that they could not tolerate that kind of freedom.I doubt they have more freedom now, less I should think.

I was born there and feel very sad at the destruction of the country and benghazi in particular. It was flawed but stable.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  6. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Naive. She's still right though, that life under Gaddhafi was probably better for the average Libyan than it is now.

7. FrankWolley

I was not talking abut 'restrictions' such as a lack of free speech, but rape, murder etc etc. Gaddhafi was a monster, equal to the worst of the 20th C.

There were plenty of similarly naive visitors to Hitler's Germany & Stalin's USSR in the 1930s, or Mao's China in the 1950s/60 who had very similar things to say about those regimes too.

8. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

But do you think it's better now? I should think all those things are worse.

JL48 likes this.
  9. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

The evil that men do lives after them, the good is oft interred with their bones; so let it be with Muammar.

10. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

Why was Gaddafi a monster??? The USA dropped a bomb or something I seem to remember a long time ago killing one of Gadaffis children. Now look at the country without him. I worked in Libya in 2009-2011 and was paid good money for teaching not that many hours a day. Now, I can't get the work cos poor old Gadaffi had gone. I wish the armed forced or NATO would go into Libya and sort it out like Iraq. I want my jobs back

11. FrankWolley

There are clearly many things that are terrible in Libya now - mostly due to the pernicious influence of radical Islam, both domestic and imported.

Two wrongs don't make a right, BTW.

12. FrankWolley

Are you serious?

Do some research if you want to know what Gaddafi did...

13. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Because that was so successful! NOT. Even Trump says that was a mistake.

14. musikteech

The USA were only interested in Gaddafi cos he had oil. Period! Otherwise they wouldn't have bombed him. And what about neighbouring Tunisia, Have flights started going there again yet since that idiot shot some people last year? The FCO don't recommend going there. That's a load of hogwash in my mind. I've been to Tunisia and there was no problem there. It's only because of that one gunman that they're saying this. One gunman has put all the Tunisian hotels out of business.

15. FrankWolley

Why keep commenting on posts you clearly know nothing about?

Google terrorist attacks in Tunisia...not just one gunman.

And how well insured do you think a Briton in Tunisia would be if going against FO advice? Your comments are ignorant and dangerous.

16. musikteech

So why not tell everyone not to go to Brussels as well then or Paris even. Put their hotels out of business too. There are terrorists in these cities too.

17. FrankWolley

Because, unlike you, those giving this FO advice are well informed about the risks and experienced in reaching judgements, rather than spouting sound bites...