1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Liam Neeson - a teaching moment, toxic masculinity or just white privilege

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Orkrider2, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Apart from being the most generic looking person in the world to me (my face blindness hits its absolute peak with him), seems like he’s also a complete donut and decided to admit in an interview that he was so upset that his friend was raped by a black man, that he roamed the streets armed with a weapon hoping to find a ‘black *******’ who would have a go at him so that Neeson could murder him. Why? Because he knew who the attacker was or where to find him? Oh no. He just wanted to kill any black man to make himself feel better, or avenge his loved one’s rape, or something, because you know it’s all about him and his feelings.

“God forbid you’ve ever have a member of your family hurt under criminal conditions,” said the man who roamed the streets for a week looking for an opportunity to murder someone, apparently without a trace of irony.

Opinion seems to be split between calling neeson a racist (certainly at that time, I would agree), and calling him brave for reflecting on his knee-jerk angry reaction and learning from it (luckily before an innocent person was murdered), but it does strike me that had it been a black man talking about how he roamed the streets for a week armed with a crowbar looking for a white man to murder, there’d be a lot less instinct to start clamouring for psychologists to explain and justify his reaction by examining the context and the feelings he was experiencing at the time. That Neeson feels he can just admit this so freely apparently without thinking of the consequences is shocking in itself.

2. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Toxic masculinity. Renee Zellweger should have had his role in the Taken franchise.

3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

I'd think the police ought to have a word with him.

Should certainly have any firearms licenses he has revoked.

4. xmal

xmal Occasional commenter

Strange that the accusation of toxic masculinity is directed at Neeson and not the rapist.

BW12345, Nebka, mas_o_menos and 10 others like this.
  5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

I wasn't talking about the rapist (shouldn't that be alleged rapist, MRAs?) but nice deflection. Are you suggesting there's nothing toxic at all about a man feeling the need to go out and take murderous revenge on some poor person who happens to share the same skin colour as someone who hurt a loved one.

catbefriender likes this.
  6. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

It sounds like Liam was channelling his inner Charles Bronson.

Weald56 likes this.
  7. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Lead commenter

Bryan Mills, surely.

8. artboyusa

artboyusa Lead commenter

Grrrrrrrr...that "Neeson". He's the worst person ever. He'll never be asked to host another Hillary fundraiser now.
    Anyone bother to actually read the interview? Or do we just skip that part and cut straight to the over-reaction?
    https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-...-man-revenge-taken-cold-pursuit-a8760896.html

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  9. MAGAorMIGA

MAGAorMIGA Star commenter

10. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

Because he was describing how violence starts and how it is perpetuated.

But he pitched it at a level that was far too high for the PC donuts. Quick, get on social media and diss him! Some people are very good at liking and sharing. Thinking, less so.

11. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

He was describing how he wanted to commit a racially motivated murder, and how he walked the streets for a week, armed, looking for an opportunity to do exactly that.

Who cares about the inherent racism involved in going out to find a random black man to kill out of revenge, because it provides a really interesting intellectual commentary on how a white man can grow and realise that murder is actually in fact bad after all. How much we have all learned from this high level discourse.

12. sparklesparkle

sparklesparkle Established commenter

And then he described how ashamed he was. Strangely enough, you missed that bit.
    The title of your thread uses the word 'white' in pejorative terms.
    No chance of high-level discourse here, that's for sure. Like, share, virtue-signal, repeat.

13. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

I don't know the man or the interview. Having worked in prisons with men convicted of exactly such attacks,( from all ethnicities ) it sounds to me like some one articulating a very common emotional experience. maybe not tearing in to him, and actually viewing this as a contribution to our understanding of how violence leads to violence, we may be better able to break the cycle.

Most important, he did not in fact harm any one, did he. Most people who feel violent just feel violent, they do no commit violence. It isn't a crime to feel violent

There is more than one victim of a rape, the people who love the woman suffer too, and the men who love her suffer in a particular way. No it isn't primarily about him, and his feelings, but he has them, and he would have suffered.

14. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

No it doesn’t. And the fact that a white man can talk so casually about the time he went looking to murder a black ******* and be defended deminstrates the white privilege I was referring to.

He also attempted to justify it by describing it as a reaction to someone you love being hurt in criminal circumstances. You seem to have missed that bit.

Not for want of trying apparently.

More justification for men who hurt going out and hurting someone else to make themselves feel better. How would that have helped the woman they apparently love? It wouldn’t. Understandable to feel that way? Sure. Understandable to actually walk the streets looking to murder an innocent person. Really no.

15. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

16. Timothy_Blue

Timothy_Blue Lead commenter

Same old hobby horse.

artboyusa and Vince_Ulam like this.
  17. koopatroopa

koopatroopa Senior commenter

It's been framed deliberately to shock but no matter you look at it, the echoes of lynching are clear to see. My problem with it is that we're supposed to admire him for his restraint and wisdom in restraining his baser instincts. I'm certainly glad that he didn't go out and murder an innocent man but lots of people don't murder on a daily basis and they don't get lauded as a hero on a journey of self discovery.

We need to address why, in a story about rape, Neeson's need for revenge is what gets talked about and why we think it's an acceptable reaction to a friend in pain and in need. If Neeson wants to help victims of rape or to campaign to prevent rape, he has the position, money and power to do so. Instead he chose to talk about it in these terms and the media chose to highlight his own suffering rather than that of the victim.

catbefriender likes this.
  18. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Add 'nationality' to skin colour above and don't you have the basis for pretty much every war that's ever happened from the first hairy hominids chucking rocks at a rival band of hairy hominids three million years ago? Has no black man ever wanted to slaughter white men for the excesses of social inequality or imperial rule?

Isn't that the exact feeling that our leaders have been trying to trigger in male populations to justify them slaughtering each other in vast numbers to preserve said leaders' territory and their grip on power?

Are men supposed to talk openly about their feelings or not? Toxic they may be at times, but are we just supposed to suppress toxic emotions and not talk about them? That's not going to help anyone to address them is it? In that respect alone I applaud Liam Neeson for being open and honest about a disturbing mental state that he found himself in when a close friend had been hurt.

Oddly, in the context of the above remarks, I'm reminded of the 1914 Christmas Truce on the Western Front, when it was men's empathy for their fellow men in dire surroundings that led them to subvert all the drum-beating flag-waving propaganda that their leaders had bombarded them with, and simply recogise their opponents as fellow men. Maybe men are not completely irredeemable where emotions are concerned?

19. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Is this really about racism or about revenge? Do you really think Neesom would have felt differently if the (alleged) attacker had been white? Or Asian?

As Confucius may have said “Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves”.

Laphroig likes this.
  20. GoGoTeacherArms

GoGoTeacherArms Occasional commenter

I think the most worrying thing is that the first question Liam Neeson asked of the alleged victim was "What colour was he?" when inquiring about the alleged rapist.

Then the way felt such anger and hatred towards ALL black men for one's alleged criminality is inherently racist and nonsensical. I don't think Liam Neeson would have gone out with his cosh looking for a white man to murder if the alleged attacker had been white.

On a side note, I bet Liam Neeson's PR person had their head in their hands in the corner of the room when he began regaling the interviewer with this little nugget of a story...

wrldtrvlr123 and caress like this.