1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LGBT group in school?

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by rosaespanola, Mar 2, 2016.

1. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

What we do to support lgbt

1) pshe on homophobic bullying

2) stonewall is a viable charity in school.

3) school counsellor available if kids need to talk on any issue.

That is it. As I have stated, anything else has the potential to go wrong.

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

It's ironic that you should say that some people aren't reading your posts because, despite your tendered appreciation, nobody here has said anything opposing support to any pupils who happen to be either lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or any combination thereof. We have each made our support clear. Any opposition here is to gung-ho and illegitimate informal interventions in the personal lives of other people's children.

Consider for a moment what you would do if a single child came up to you in school seeking reassurance about their sexuality: What are you authorised to do and what would be bad practice that would anger SLT, Governors & parents, possibly impoverish & abbreviate your career and, worst of all, damage the child concerned? This is actually what has happened to you via this child's approach so this is the consideration you must make. Now, instead of allowing yourself to be directed by the stated needs of this child &or their circle, instead of seeing this as a CV-opportunity, step back from your social relationship with them, the need to please, and reckon what is best for them then, as a responsible adult and teaching professional, do this.

Simply put, it's likely that when this child says they are 'fine' with their sexuality but are 'worried' about 'a lot of people' who might be afraid then the reverse is the case - they are not fine, they are worried about themselves and they are afraid. There is a counsellor in your school, you say, so refer them and meanwhile, if you must, then you can have discussions with SLT, Governors & PSHE about the possibility of the gung-ho gang.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    Alice K, Jonntyboy and FrankWolley like this.
  3. MS1991

MS1991 New commenter

4. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Lead commenter

I don't usually get involved in this sort of stuff, and to be honest I'm a bit fed up with being confronted with lots of stuff about non-heterosexuality, seemingly wherever I go, these days, but if I may say so I think that this is a very wise comment from Mr. Ulam.

5. clc39

clc39 New commenter

We have a group like this at my school - it was set up last year. As I'm not involved, I don't know what they do or how often they meet - but no one had any issues with it existing as far as I'm aware. They created a display of famous LGBT people and I think they produced a mini 'magazine' which they wrote articles, poems, artwork etc.

6. museumgirl12

museumgirl12 New commenter

7. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

But where it can go wrong and why warnings are fine is all the points you raise above must be afforded to those who are not LBGT too, if you are going to start a potentially discriminatory club without free expression to disagree.

For example, will the OP's school allow a club that wants to discuss heterosexuality, marriage and all that? If not allowed as a counter balance to democratic debate, where is the tolerance and dignity?

Lesbians and gays are defined by their sexuality and therefore the only way to make this fair, democratic and of value is to widen the debate to all groups, religious and otherwise so nobody is working the (too often seen) 'tolerance means accepting our tolerance only' line.

This is why I do not see it as the role of teachers or schools to try to deal with sexuality as it always becomes a doctrine in intolerance and fear of free expression.

Jonntyboy likes this.
  8. justine_woo_richards

justine_woo_richards New commenter

9. justine_woo_richards

justine_woo_richards New commenter

Hi Rosa,

Did you get any help with this? And a group set up? I am working with students who would like to do the same and need some teacher based advice. we have great local support networks, but i would like some advice of someone like yourself, who asked exactly the same question i am asking. Thanks.

10. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Really?

11. keyboard2

keyboard2 Established commenter

Meet as much as you want. Don't impose your views on others.

12. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

I haven't heard from James Burke in years. Glad to hear he is well and offering sound advice on this forum.

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  13. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Just wondering, from a legal point of view. Would a teacher offering advice to under age children beyond very general or PSHE led content, put them self at risk of being struck off. Especially if they were misquoted. No string feelings either way on this, but it seems an area best left to the teams more qualified to comment. Seems a minefield to me.