1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leytonstone stabbing

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Let's hope that the injured recover from their physical and emotional trauma, and that the attacker receives justice.

You can see from these videos that the Great British public are not all that terrorised:

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I'm travelling to the US over Christmas and part of the journey involves travelling using the London Underground to get to the airport.

This latest incident in London combined with the recent shootings in California make me want to cancel the trip. My daughter paid for the tickets and if I don't go she will be upset. I don't think it is safe to travel. Am I being irrational?

3. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Yes. (Though it's understandable)

If you were being rational, you'd be more scared of road accidents than of terrorists on the tube and more scared of lone wolf mass-shooting gunmen (they're not usually referred to as terrorsists) in the US than of terrorism there.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Airports should be reasonably safe (especially flights) as everyone knows attacks over Christmas are high on the list for terrorists due to maximum pain and destruction.
    The problem is it is simply impossible to stop killers getting on the Tube (and so into the airport or anywhere) if they are in the UK already.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Before these events my daughter (who lives & works in London) said to me on Skype that she was afraid, more so after the vote on Wednesday. I tried to persuade her that this was not something to worry about. I'm not sure what I will say to her today.

I'd like to see all those MPs who voted in favour to be forced to travel only by Public Transport in London in future - to give a lead to the rest of us. To share any increased danger.

HelenREMfan likes this.
  6. cuteinpuce

cuteinpuce Star commenter

I don't think there is any increased danger; on the contrary. Crime on London Transport has been steadily falling for years.

7. FrankWolley

You may not think that, but the random nature of attacks carried out in fairly previously 'safe' places (not late at night, down dark passages etc. that a canny traveller would avoid) is certainly scaring people - my daughter for one.

8. cuteinpuce

Such people should follow sparkleghirl's advice earlier and take a rational look at the evidence. (Unless, of course, they get a bit of a buzz from feeling scared in situations which aren't really scary.)

9. annie2010

annie2010 Occasional commenter

We live in London and both my daughters use the tube daily. Yes, I'm worried-but all anyone can do is carry on as normal, perhaps being a bit more wary. Not that anyone can predict/prevent these random attacks. There will be uneasiness-similar to post 7/7-but Londoners are a resilient bunch.

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

I am still using bus, tube, tram and overground train all round London.

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Since the house of Commons vote earlier this week the risk of a potential attack has just got higher.

Interesting they can find the funding for pointless air strikes but not for public services up and down the country (not to mention a pay rise for teachers).

I deeply loathe IS and everything it stands for but a few random bombs by our tiny air force is going to make no difference.

12. Vince_Ulam

This kind of thing is nothing to worry about in the long-term. I predict that the attacker will turn out to be a notorious local nut-job who smokes bath salts, the type that used to run down the street waving samurai swords. No new danger here.

Noja and InkyP like this.
  13. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

I've got an appointment in London this week and I'll admit to feeling a bit nervous about the trains and underground but it's not going to stop me going.

Duke of York likes this.
  14. FrankWolley

Presumably then you'd pour scorn on anyone who is afraid of flying - after all the statistics show that it is far safer than other forms of transport?

In reality some people (quite a number) are uneasy because they have no control when they are in a plane, and apparently random attacks like last evenings spark the same fears; you may think it irrational, but it is real to some none the less.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2015
  15. FrankWolley

Me neither - will be there tomorrow, using the train & tube.

But Mrs FW is uneasy, she says.

16. cuteinpuce

No, I'd encourage them to face up to their fear and consider the situation rationally.

17. FrankWolley

Indeed. And I did/do.

But it's a bit like:

[​IMG]

18. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Police officer (I think) shouting "Calm the **** down" and an onlooker shouting "You ain't no Muslim bruv, you're an embarrassment" perfectly sums up the collective London spirit, I think.

19. Vince_Ulam

I was amused by the bystander racing to take the opportunity afforded by the distraction to beat the queue at the confectionary stand.

20. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

And the old guy in the cap who sort of potters over to have a closer look and potters back off again with his carrier bag.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.