1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Leylandii

Discussion in 'Personal' started by jubilee, May 31, 2020.

1. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Our neighbours of the last couple of years have cut down the Leylandii hedge separating our front gardens. We've hated it for 33 years and cut the height by half ten years ago when the house was between tenancies and the landlord didn't mind us 'trimming' it. That gave us more light in our dining room. The difference now is amazing.

2. Grandsire

Grandsire Star commenter

It truly is the devil's weed. Congratulations on its removal. I lived in a second-floor flat which only had windows facing in one direction, and they were obscured by leylandii. As you say, the difference their removal made feels simply incredible.

I am reliably informed by a member of my family who had a similar problem to yours that going out under cover of darkness, drilling into the roots of each tree and pouring in a small amount of round-up also works, but it takes time. It's not so much vandalism as doing your civic duty.

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

First thing I did when I moved into my current home was to cut down 13 leylandii round the boundary. I even bought my own chainsaw! They weren’t monsters, just about 10 feet high, but it turned a dark corner into a light filled space. The only problem was disposing of all the branches, my car smelt of wood and needles for months after!

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Very apt description.

Grandsire likes this.
  5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Star commenter

We had 13 cut down on our boundary and we gained 10ft of garden, and lifted light levels. We now have a pyracanthus bush which still needs attention but the birds like it.
    We do still have 2 enormous conifers at the bottom of the garden which are a landmark for walkers in the fields. They provide much needed shade and windbreak but one day, I'm sure they will have to go.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  6. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

Ah Leylandii, or Lawsuit Cyprus, as I prefer to call them.

Ellakits, agathamorse, colpee and 4 others like this.
  7. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

"Macbeth shall never vanquished be, until Great Birnam Wood to High Dunsinane Hill Shall come against him." Imagine Birnam Wood planted with triffids and you have some idea of the problems Leylandii give you. They have to go, literally 'root and branch'.

agathamorse and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  8. nizebaby

nizebaby Star commenter

I shoulh have written cypress, of course.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I've removed six off our small front garden over the years - four of them I tore out by hand. The last one went a couple of years ago. It had reduced the surrounding soil to desert dust, so it all needed replacing.

My antisocial neighbour over the back has three in a position that already blocks morning light from our garden. They're about 12ft high at present. Because there's three that makes it a hedge in legal terms, so they should only be 6ft tall. However, I'm not going to kick up a fuss just yet because there are other boundary issues with her - I'm keeping them in reserve in case the other thing hots up. :)

Ellakits, Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  10. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

About thirty years ago, a couple bought a house around the corner from us, and planted Leylandii in the front garden, I suppose to try and make a hedge of them. Within a few years, the house disappeared from view! Mercifully, the next occupant had them taken down and had a brick fence built.

If the Corona virus had killed us all off, the Leylandii would have inherited the Earth!

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Oscillatingass

Oscillatingass Star commenter

Leylandii are great for hedges but have to be regularly trimmed to keep them under control. If the person planting them or owning the property on which they thrive is too ******* idle to look after them properly you have a major problem. There are almost as many idle people as there are Leylandii hedges.

wayside34 and border_walker like this.
  12. Lazycat

Lazycat Senior commenter

We’ve recently had about 10 enormous leylandii removed from the bottom of our garden, the difference in light is amazing. The only downside was the complaint from one of our neighbours who doesn’t much like her view now (all the other neighbours have been really pleased)

Not sure what we’re going to do about all the dry dusty soil that’s left behind. I think it’s going to need quite a bit of work before anything will grow in it

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  13. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The neighbours have a very dusty lawn that has failed to thrive over the years. We have a driveway and a path between their ex-hedge and the start of our lawn. The driveway is a bit bumpy in parts from Leylandii roots near the surface but our lawn is in good nick.

Lazycat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Compost mulch will be needed in bulk. ;) Though if enough needles fell to mulch the ground naturally you might find the soil is better a few inches down than you might think looking at the surface.

Lazycat and mothorchid like this.
  15. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

We had some removed from a neighbours garden, on the property line prior to building. The property has since changed hands and my OH is trying to persuade them to remove the others as they are trees and not hedges. I don't think they will. Fortunately the only windows on that side of the house are the bathrooms. The silver birch trees are more annoying as the catkins block the gutters. (Though I do like silver birch)