1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lewis Hamilton: “Boys don’t wear princess dresses!”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Postduif

Postduif Occasional commenter

I have no interest at all in motor racing or those who earn their living at it, but Mr Hamilton seems to have transgressed the unbreakable rule of social discourse these days, which seems to be based on the premise that the fatuous have inherited the earth and must never, in any circumstances, be offended if someone points out their fatuity.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

The only thing to be said in favour of Lewis Hamilton is that Sebastian Vettel is even more unpleasant

foxtail3 likes this.
  3. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Lewis Hamilton Stupid Clothes is a google autosuggestion

4. coffeekid

coffeekid Star commenter

He's is no position to tell other people what to wear. What a state...

Laphroig, smoothnewt and JL48 like this.
  5. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Don't be wardrobe-shaming Lewis. He's clearly a 1990s dresser trapped in the wrong decade.

6. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

If as a teenager I'd gone to school wearing a nose stud I'd probably have been duffed up by the lads at lunchtime, times have changed and what we tolerate as fashions have changed too. Aren't many of the top women's fashion designers men?

Social media is the problem, not his opinion - you reap what you sew if you insist on spouting it in public to earn cheap brownie points.

calamansi and bombaysapphire like this.
  7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

He is allowed. He literally did exactly this.

What is also allowed is that other people also express their opinion that he is a total at-tway for insulting a small child who is just excited about his christmas present.

Being 'allowed' is not the same as demanding that you get no criticism or come-back from your opinions if they prove to be unpopular with others.

8. Vince_Ulam

Fair play, Hamilton didn't insult his nephew. Everyone present seemed to take it in good humour:

9. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

As I said earlier, I got the impression it was an ill judged joke and not intended to offend.

And to clarify, ill judged because he chose to show this brief clip to the world without realising that it might look more judgemental or offensive to outsiders.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
  10. Vince_Ulam

I was speaking to the people whose expressed opinion you expressed.

11. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Ha ha - They didn't in the days of my youth! If they wore anything feminine their male friends would say:"Sissy". Perhaps this word has been banned now. I could never have imagined my brother in a princess dress - - well, nor me either, although I did wear a ballet dress for shows.

12. JosieWhitehead

JosieWhitehead Star commenter

Well, this is the season for pantomimes. There will be lots and lots of men dressed in women's clothes, but they are encouraging us to laugh at them on a stage. What do you think of this? Should it be banned?

13. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

My younger son was at Christmas Dinner with the family with his nails painted. He knew there would be some abuse but he was ready for it, it wasn't posted on-line by a well-known relative, there may have been an ulterior motive involving a woman, he doesn't doubt his sexuality, his big brother used to wear the same along with mascara on occasion and, most importantly, neither Maleficent nor I was exercised about it. Was the child put up to this? How old was he?

14. Vince_Ulam

Four years, I understand, so this really was not his choice in any meaningful sense.

15. racroesus

racroesus Star commenter

Maybe a private family moment that on the internet wasn't. Silly Lewis for posting. I think top sportspeople are self-regarding prats as befits jocks; that is what they need to get to the top past other talented people.

16. Vince_Ulam

High-performing sportspeople tend to high levels of narcissism, yes.

17. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

The reality is that young children iIour school nurseries will often wear femanine clothing ...they look cute with a dress one and carrying an handbag.especially if they mimic some of the girls doing it...high heels adds to the visual enjoyment.At least they have to freedom to do so without a lot of censure or comment
    As a boy i used to swop my toy guns for a chance to push a pram with a doll in it..so i am not against say this idea.....but I do think if we wish to 'impose' ideas then it shsould be after open and full discussion.
    However, Hamilton aside,despite being a role model for some, i dod think posting too much personal stuff for the world to see is not a good thing...reminds me of my gran who would never hang her knickers on the outdoor line as she claimed 'It was too much information' or 'some things are best kept a secret and it for me to know and them to try and find out' lol

18. elledriver

elledriver Lead commenter

True.The middle-classes are just as free to condemn speech-crime, as they are free to praise adult men who use teenage girls' changing rooms,

Vince_Ulam likes this.
  19. Ellakits

Ellakits Lead commenter

Lewis Hamilton has a terrible dress sense. This may be due either to a lack of style or a lack of full length mirrors. Poor chap.

I watched the video clip and was struck by the lack of malice in his voice, given the condemnation he has received. In fact, his voice seemed to be friendly and joking, in the way you often do with small children. "Chocolate, no you don't want chocolate do you? I'll have yours as you don't want it..." The nephew was laughing, so I suspect uncle Lewis was just pulling his leg.

Trial by social media is an ugly phenomenon.

bounceback and BelleDuJour like this.
  20. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

I saw the outrage and the apology before seeing the comments themselves...

His tone [as @Ellakits in post #39 says] sounds jokey to me. The words written out without tone of voice sound harsh... but when said in the tone he uses, it comes across as jokey teasing...

bounceback likes this.