1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Lewis Hamilton: “Boys don’t wear princess dresses!”

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Vince_Ulam, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Lewis Hamilton apologises for 'inappropriate' comments about nephew

[​IMG]

'Lewis Hamilton has apologised for making “inappropriate comments” about his young nephew wearing a dress.

The Formula One world champion was accused of humiliating his nephew online after he posted a video in which he disapproved of his relative’s choice of Christmas attire, telling him: “Boys don’t wear princess dresses.”

Hamilton has since deleted the Instagram post, which showed his nephew wearing a purple and pink outfit and carrying a pink wand with a heart on it.

[...]

In the video he posted on Instagram, he said: “I’m so sad right now. Look at my nephew,” , as the camera focuses on the boy.
    “Why are you wearing a princess dress? Is this what you got for Christmas?” he asks, as the boy nods delightedly.

“Why did you ask for a princess dress for Christmas?” he goes on.

“Because it’s pretty,” the boy replies enthusiastically, waving the pink wand.

“Boys don’t wear princess dresses!” says Hamilton.

The 32-year-old was abroad celebrating Christmas with his family when he posted the video.

In response, Travis Alabanza, a performance artist, had said: “I hope Lewis Hamilton properly thinks and apologises to his nephew for that video.”
    '
    TheGuardian.com, 26th December 2017.

Nice one, Travis. You keep those regressives in line & protect the children of England from their deplorable families.

[​IMG]
    Telegraph.co.uk, 8th November 2017.

2. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

Lewis Hamilton is an arrogant and quite unpleasant fool.

emerald52 and Laphroig like this.
  3. catmother

catmother Star commenter

Don't see why a little boy should not be able to dress up. Plus, it's quite cruel for an uncle who is obviously a public figure to put it all over his social media, where it will be picked up for the whole world to see.

4. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

At what point in our society are you not allowed to express an opinion you hold?
    It seems you are forced to agree or be sort of publicly shamed.
    Have we become to 'allowing' in that folks can tell you what they believe and the rest have to concur?

5. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

If it'd been his niece dressed as an avenger or superman and he'd told her that girls can't be superheros, it'd come over a whole lot different. The idea that girls can do anything that boys can do is something that's become a mainstream opinion, and denying it is seen as misogynistic. For some reason, limiting boys options and telling them they can't do stuff or have to do other stuff is somehow seen as perfectly acceptable. Doesn't seem very fair to me.

Hamilton is a fool. I'm a massive F1 fan, and love his skill on the track. He has the kind of racing hunger that makes him great to watch. But off track, he's an idiot. That said, I don't think he meant anything he said to his nephew maliciously, it was just a poorly judged joke. I think saying that he should have a think about his actions and apologise to his nephew for making fun of him is a pretty fair judgement and is an opinion I'm inclined to agree with.

chelsea2 and emerald52 like this.
  6. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

Have to say I rather agree with Lewis - if a young male relative wanted to wear a dress, I'd say no. Wouldn't post the criticism on line though.

7. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

He is allowed to hold that opinion. And others are allowed to hold the opinion that he's being horrible, in public, to a really young kid who's just wearing something he thinks is nice.
    Works both ways.

emerald52, ilovesooty and foxtail3 like this.
  8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

But he obviously doesn't mind avoiding paying tax.

emerald52, Laphroig and JL48 like this.
  9. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

Does he get the Isle of Man to give him VAT back on the dresses?

10. Orkrider2

Orkrider2 Star commenter

Meh, I've taken my son to tesco in a skirt before. He's 2, he wanted to wear it and some battles are just not worth fighting. Also, as I've mentioned before, skirts are so much more convenient than trousers when toilet training a toddler!

Not saying I'd encourage my 8 year old boy to go out in a dress if we were going somewhere, but at home, who cares. And now my eldest is a teen, I'm happy to let him wear whatever he wants to be honest. I'd be concerned about how other people were going to react to him, but by that age it's largely his choice.

Moony, bombaysapphire and lizziescat like this.
  11. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

O course Hamilton is allowed to hold an opinion, just as others are allowed to disagree with his opinion. My opinion is that he is an unpleasant man and I base that on the fact that he published his view on a social media platform, where it was apparent that it would be seen by a vast number of people. Why do that other than to bring attention to it and embarrass his family?
    His comments publicly shamed a member of his family and that is unkind.

Wotton, emerald52, ilovesooty and 5 others like this.
  12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

I agree and it works for both family members.
    Mind you I wouldn't have posted my opinion to the whole world

BelleDuJour likes this.
  13. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

What a waste of time and opinion. Much ado about bug#er all.

lanokia likes this.
  14. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

There is a difference between "expressing an opinion" and publishing to millions of "followers" a photograph of a child with negative comments about the child.

emerald52, catmother, JL48 and 2 others like this.
  15. sparkleghirl

sparkleghirl Star commenter

Bad loser, ungracious winner, tax-dodger and now being mean to his nephew. On twitter. He''s a thoroughly nasty piece of work-

ilovesooty, Laphroig, JL48 and 2 others like this.
  16. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Most of your attacks are mainly based upon the character of the man....question Iasked is whether we should not be allowed to express a view openly.
    I appreciate he did it on media for which you are castigating him..yet how often is free opinion stiffled due to fear of offending..Despite our society the vast majority of us are unwilling to suffer online or other abuse for ventureig an opinion. Yet, we are still a 'consertitive' nation with many folks holding views not in line withthe neo liberals who deem we have to accept their views.with little or none open discussion.....so much so we have to legislate to force folk to accept what might be deemed 'should be the usual' in an accepting society.
    Try looking at education where directives come from above, racial tensions where may folks have not faced up to developing a fair and even socity, to fashion which is quick to go for trends....and where somehow trend setters are seen as the norn..but in reality are the minority.....Industry where you might wear say a skirt to work,,,,or enforce that one sex must dress ina certain way..ut in reality folks might label you without appreciation of your view.

lexus300 and JosieWhitehead like this.
  17. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I don’t dislike him . Über talented driver.

18. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

At the point that it is hurtful or harmful to someone else?
    Especially if they’re young or vulnerable?

Context and delivery is significant in that.......

19. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

He's got a nerve.
    I'd be more concerned if the boy grew up and thought this was a look...

[​IMG]

20. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

I disagree with what Lewis Hamilton said to his nephew but I would agree that he has a right to express his opinion within his family. Posting it online was a mistake. As a public figure it will attract attention and others then have the right to register their objections to what he said.

Laphroig likes this.