1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levels to stages

Discussion in 'Primary' started by chocoholic01, Nov 20, 2015.

1. chocoholic01

chocoholic01 New commenter

I know that there are six stages now but is it expected that year six should be on stage
    Six at the end of the year because when you look at conversion charts it means really we are expecting them all to be high fives or sixes

2. teacup71

teacup71 Occasional commenter

Forget thinking in levels. Just look at expected progress from the test framework and the interim teacher assessment. Yes the new curriculum is challenging and year 6 this year are the Guinea pigs. Surely if everyone has lower scores the threshold for expected progress will be lower. We won't know this until they have marked the tests.

3. michaelt1979

michaelt1979 Occasional commenter

That depends entirely on the assessment system your school has chosen to use.

Again, that depends on how your system displays things. If you look at the new test frameworks for Reading, Maths & GPS, it does seem that the expectation of around 4b, maybe 4a, is about right. However, if you look at the new interim assessment framework for Writing, then yes, I'd agree that it mirrors the old L5/6 boundary.

4. mike1chambers

mike1chambers New commenter

Our School has just completed the CPG practice test. They are looking at 25/50 for reading, 35/70 for GPS and 60/110 for maths as being the standard expected.

Many didn't get that high, but if we used the old thresholds, the scores we did get look like a good year for level 4s. Going on this premise, it looks like yes your right Michael old Level 5 is the target for secure!

5. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I think we need to remember that the publishers don't know more than we do so its all "guesswork" to a certain extent and the cynic in me says it depends on what the DfE want to prove on the day.

mrsminniemouse likes this.
  6. mike1chambers

mike1chambers New commenter

Very true! It's just the not knowing which is unnerving.

7. whitestag

whitestag Senior commenter

Does anyone ever stop to think 'what is the point of all this?'

The children haven't changed. The basics in English and maths that they need to learn to give them a sound footing haven't changed either.

I just focus on those two things. The rest is just nonsense that is designed to generate 'data' to either keep some inspector in a job or to help a politician get a better job. 'Expected standards' mean nothing to a child in Year 6, what matters is that they have done the best they possibly can and have had a fair crack of the whip because of teachers who have also done the best they possibly can.

I'm fed up of hearing about 'expected standards'. They are children, not numbers.

mrsminniemouse likes this.