1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levels of Supervision

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by fab208, Feb 19, 2016.

1. fab208

fab208 New commenter

Can I just ask how many staff go out with your children at play times (as in morning/afternoon break rather than at lunchtimes), and how many children this covers?
    Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

It might be helpful if you specified what age group you are interested in, @fab208 . That would help posters wondering whether to reply.

Best wishes

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

In a primary school:
    2 staff for 80 children but we have a risk assessment in place for 1 child hence two members of staff.
    In my previous school, it was 1 member of staff for 180 children.

4. ZestyMordant

ZestyMordant New commenter

We have 4 adults to 48 children, ages 3-6. We're outside for about 40 mins at a time and staff do 20 mins each. We're an independent School. :)

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Two members of staff for 88 children at break ( one teacher for 70 children yr 1-6 and 1 TA for 18 Reception children who have their own playground) and three lunchtime supervisors for the same number!

6. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Primary Y1 - Y6
    At Break time we have 2 staff on duty for 170 children.

At lunchtimes we have 7 welfare staff, two in the dining room and 5 on the playground.

7. julie2

julie2 New commenter

Primary Y1 - Y6
    We have split playtimes so no more than 80 children out with 2 adults (usually 1 teacher 1 TA)

We have more at lunchtimes - a mix of TAs and midday supervisors.

8. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

2small playgrounds, separated so cannot be seen easily by 1person. Consequently, 2adults for less than 40 children. Same at lunchtime. Yr R to Y6

In previous school we had 2adults for 160 children both teachers and another TA inside dealt with first aid. At lunchtime we had 7 supervisors, between the hall where children ate and the playground. Yr R to y2.

9. yipeeee4

yipeeee4 New commenter

I remember trying to find out if there are any absolute rules and regulations about this, about three years ago. As far as I could ascertain, there were not. Always best to have a thorough "risk assessment" in place to justify any decisions you make about your supervision levels.