1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levels of Planning for Inspection.....?

Discussion in 'Ofsted inspections' started by si_forestiero, Mar 9, 2012.

1. si_forestiero

si_forestiero New commenter

Thanks mate!!!!

2. Yes, very well done.
    One slight word of caution though, and apologies is this is stating the bleedin' obvious. A fantastic plan doesn't make a fantastic lesson. I've seen amazing plans that in practice don't work because the teacher is too guided by the plan to respond closely to pupils' needs. Differentiation is a classic. Most differentiation takes place on a semi ad hoc basis, for which you cannot plan. For example, in answering a question, a HAP might give a simplistic answer. The teacher should then probe for a better answer by prompt cues 'could you expand on that?' ' so what does that mean?' 'A little more please..'
    Conversely, I've seen lessons where there is no plan at all and the lesson is incredible. One that sticks in my mind is an English supply teacher who did a lesson to bottom set disaffected Y11 on stereotypes. After asking what they'd been doing, he launched straight in and said that all 'you girls shouldn't go to work ever and you should stay at home, cooking and cleaning'. They went absolutely ape initially, but then he channelled this energy into a debate, with rules for speaking, listening to arguments, using good vocab and finished it with a group presentation. I was blown away by it all and gave it all grade 1 across the board.

3. si_forestiero

si_forestiero New commenter

Totally agree Robby... I try to be aware that I might have to go 'off-plan' if circumstances demand. To be honest, I've got a shocker of a memory and since my training year, timekeeping within lessons has always been a bit of a problem with me - hence the quite specific timings.

I generally don't write a tight lesson plan on a day-to-day basis, but feel that trying to 'cross the "T's and dot the 'I's" in a plan during Inspection is a way to evidence to an observer that you've tried everything possible to deliver excellent progress and learning to all students even if the lesson doesn't go according to plan.

Appreciate the comments... Thanks !