1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levels in Spanish?

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by cardiganlover, Sep 16, 2011.

1. Morning all,
    I fancy learning Spanish after deliberating about it for years. What's been putting me off is the time and effort involved, I'm not really a "learn a bit" kind of gal and would expect to reach at LEAST A level standard :)
    My local college is offering lessons, but I have no idea what their levels mean! Can anyone shed some light? Level 1 is 10 weeks, Level 2 is 20 weeks and Level 3 is 30 weeks. By the time I get to level 3, what would the equivalent be in traditional qualifications? GCSE? They stop at level 3 and I'm concerned that I'd be stuck with GCSE level and not able to progress.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Morning all,
    I fancy learning Spanish after deliberating about it for years. What's been putting me off is the time and effort involved, I'm not really a "learn a bit" kind of gal and would expect to reach at LEAST A level standard :)
    My local college is offering lessons, but I have no idea what their levels mean! Can anyone shed some light? Level 1 is 10 weeks, Level 2 is 20 weeks and Level 3 is 30 weeks. By the time I get to level 3, what would the equivalent be in traditional qualifications? GCSE? They stop at level 3 and I'm concerned that I'd be stuck with GCSE level and not able to progress.
    Thanks in advance!

3. Have you considered going the OU route and signing up for local evening classes to give more oral practice? This is what I am currently doing to boost my Italian. OU fees are set to treble in September 2012 unless you are an existing student. For existing students the fees will remain the same until 2017. So if you were ever thinking of doing an OU course now is the time to enroll.
    There are 4 OU Spanish courses from beginners to year 3 of a degree. My son did the first 2 courses and got to just past A level standard. He then went to a bricks uni to study Spanish and was better prepared than those with A level Spanish. He did supplement his studies with a couple of trips to Spain and some private conversation classes leading up to his oral exam.
    You would know exactly what level you were at, without having to study some of the more 'teenage orientated' themes in the A level.

4. Oh! That's a good idea! Thank you - will certainly look into it :)

5. loodle1

loodle1 Occasional commenter

If you are talking NQF then level 3 is AS/A level equivalent.