1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levels in my class are inadequate

Discussion in 'Primary' started by xlollx, Jan 24, 2016.

1. xlollx

xlollx New commenter

Some help and guidance is needed. :)

My observations since September have been outstanding from a range of people.

My book scrutiny have been outstanding since September.

My class levels however are showing that my class are making inadequate progress. They obviously are making progress but they came into my class with already high levels.

I am now having meetings to discuss this.....If I cannot put the levels up then I have been told that I will be having lots of observations and scrutinies to find out what the problem is.

Is this a form of capability?

2. Camokidmommy

Camokidmommy Established commenter

Are you saying you feel the levels were 'inflated' by previous teacher? If so, I would find evidence and use this as a starting point for discussions. Also, locate all the info regarding your outstanding observations and scrutiny and look at what they say. Are you using a different 'measure' to last year? That could be why it looks like they have made slower progress.

As for whether it is the start of capability.... I really don't feel able to comment, except to ask are you ups ?

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

When you say they came in with already high levels, do you mean you disagree with the levels? Or that they were just a very able class?

If the first, then find your early assessments for this year to show the starting points were not what data says they are. Then show that the children have made good progress with you.
    If the second then you need to find out why they aren't making progress, as does your SLT.

Some teachers can pull off an outstanding lesson for an observation, but be utterly useless the rest of the time. A greater number of observations will flag this up.
    Sometimes book scrutinies show that a teacher has marked in line with the policy and children have a reasonable amount of work in their books, so all is well. Only a deeper look shows that the work itself is at an inappropriate level.
    Because of these two things, the request by SLT to look deeper into what is happening seems reasonable.

However if your SLT are a clueless lot who have given outstanding because you were in favour and are saying progress is inadequate because you have fallen out of favour, then start looking elsewhere for work.

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

You're stuffed. Find another job based on your good/outstanding observations.

5. Senco84

Senco84 New commenter

Possibly inflated levels due to new criteria last year? Try moderating some work with the previous teacher. Are you in agreement? If not seek help from your subject co-ordinators and SLT.