1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

levels and sub levels...

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lizzy71, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hi
    Sorry if this a really silly question. I teach music one a day a week at primary covering PPA. I have been out of teaching for three years with my daughter so am a bit behind on all the latest updates to plans.assessing etc... (Mind you, i was never really that up to date when i was teaching!!)
    However I have been asked for music levels for the children...to include sub levels...I can find level descriptors with no problems...and can say if children are working at level 3 etc..but how do you sort out sub levels for music? Or don't you and my head is asking for thinghs that don't exist in music?? I have never been asked for music sub levels before...
    Thanks in advance for any help!!

2. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

There are no sub-levels in the National Curriculum. However, many schools divide up the NC levels, often using an a,b,c system.
    Example:
    Level 4c = kid is just about level 4.
    Level 4a = kid is almost level 5.
    Level 6b = kid is a safe level 6.
    Etc.

The NC was not designed to be used this way but sub-levelling has become the de facto system in many schools.

3. Thank you...

4. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

hello i have something that might help - send me your email address

5. sparklepig2002

all sent - check your in box

6. sparklepig2002

I have some tracking sheets that i use with years 1-6. The year 5 and 6 might be useful for your lower ability children. Let me have your email and i will send them