1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

levelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by johannaeverritt, Jan 29, 2012.

1. I am levelling writing this weekend- hoorah! If a child has achieved all the criteria for a particular sub level except for AF8 (spelling) can they be given the next sub level? I am currently trying to level a child who has achieved all of the level 2b and 2a objectives but his spelling does not qualify him for a 2a so is he a 2a or a 2b? I have been teaching for years in upper KS 2 but feel insecure levelling much lower levels- can anyone out there help me? thanks, joy

2. JCA_1989

JCA_1989 New commenter

Personally If it is just one objective, then I would be tempted to give him a 2A. Then obviously focus down on spelling, I may get shot down for this comment, I sometimes have a similar predicament with handwriting!

3. Thanks for that- I'll quote you in my pupil progress meetings with the head next week! Anyway it will be great for him to crawl up to a level 2a having been sitting on a 2b since KS1 sats and is now in y5! Thanks again.

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

We don't use APP being in Wales. We level on a 'best fit' basis. Spelling is often the one that doesn't get ticked so I would give the child the higher level.