1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Ktteaching, Jan 26, 2011.

1. Hi I would if anyone could be so kind as to take a couple of minutes out of their time. I'm an RQT and struggle with levelling - I am panicing really because I can't see much of a difference between my children's literacy when they came up to me at Year 4 and now. I have copied out exactly below what two different chn have written today (it wwas almost like an assessment) They were given a picture of a castle as a stimulus and asked to write from this.
    I was just wondering if anyone could give a very quick level of both pieces (or either...!) I'm not asking for any comments, rather to see if I'm on the right track... (I am very aware they need to work on adding full stops and any advice on this would be great as well!!!)
    Thank you to anyone who can reply as it is so helpful and I know how busy everyone is... xxx
    Child 1
    Harri was at home in his bed suddenly his alarm walk him up so he went to his primary school when he got there he messed about and he said to the coolest teacher in the world “Please may I go to the toilet” “Yes” said Mrs *. So Harri went to the toilet but when he turned the light on....nothing happened he just fell down..... a hall. When he walk up he saw a casle black as night he jumped up a ran to look at it he saw a muddy mud slide he just went in the castle he saw a little girl called Lucy she said hello so did Harri however she was walking away Suprisingly he follod her up to the top of the castle. He saw a angry wizard who had a long white beard Harri said “I wish i wasn’t at school” Suddenly he opend his eyes and he was back at school in the toilet, he ran back to class and Mrs * went to the toilet, and Harri fort oh no but Mrs * was teaching.
    ----------------
    Child 2
    When I walked through the dark gloomy castle I could see a myseterious wizard walking through a could dark room. The castle was very big and wide in the hall there was no rough so you could see the sky it was very dark and windy. the was a very big bird and it was going in the castle. However i wasn’t scared. There was very big steps and lots of them there was no treas it was just as black as night. As last a person walked in from out side I was very scared but nothing happened it was a fraindly man he lived in the castle. It was his house I asked him what his name was he was called Darvin. I had never heard of the name before but he was a nice man. he took me to this lovel glamgor room it was full of very exspentcive stuf there was lots of diamonds and cristles. Then there was a baddy walking up the steps he came every day because he wanted theas spesale diamonds and cristles but i blocked that room so could not get in and he didn’t. So that was what happened we worked as a team thats how you can solve problems.

2. Hi I would if anyone could be so kind as to take a couple of minutes out of their time. I'm an RQT and struggle with levelling - I am panicing really because I can't see much of a difference between my children's literacy when they came up to me at Year 4 and now. I have copied out exactly below what two different chn have written today (it wwas almost like an assessment) They were given a picture of a castle as a stimulus and asked to write from this.
    I was just wondering if anyone could give a very quick level of both pieces (or either...!) I'm not asking for any comments, rather to see if I'm on the right track... (I am very aware they need to work on adding full stops and any advice on this would be great as well!!!)
    Thank you to anyone who can reply as it is so helpful and I know how busy everyone is... xxx
    Child 1
    Harri was at home in his bed suddenly his alarm walk him up so he went to his primary school when he got there he messed about and he said to the coolest teacher in the world “Please may I go to the toilet” “Yes” said Mrs *. So Harri went to the toilet but when he turned the light on....nothing happened he just fell down..... a hall. When he walk up he saw a casle black as night he jumped up a ran to look at it he saw a muddy mud slide he just went in the castle he saw a little girl called Lucy she said hello so did Harri however she was walking away Suprisingly he follod her up to the top of the castle. He saw a angry wizard who had a long white beard Harri said “I wish i wasn’t at school” Suddenly he opend his eyes and he was back at school in the toilet, he ran back to class and Mrs * went to the toilet, and Harri fort oh no but Mrs * was teaching.
    ----------------
    Child 2
    When I walked through the dark gloomy castle I could see a myseterious wizard walking through a could dark room. The castle was very big and wide in the hall there was no rough so you could see the sky it was very dark and windy. the was a very big bird and it was going in the castle. However i wasn’t scared. There was very big steps and lots of them there was no treas it was just as black as night. As last a person walked in from out side I was very scared but nothing happened it was a fraindly man he lived in the castle. It was his house I asked him what his name was he was called Darvin. I had never heard of the name before but he was a nice man. he took me to this lovel glamgor room it was full of very exspentcive stuf there was lots of diamonds and cristles. Then there was a baddy walking up the steps he came every day because he wanted theas spesale diamonds and cristles but i blocked that room so could not get in and he didn’t. So that was what happened we worked as a team thats how you can solve problems.

3. Child 1 has sound sentence structure, a range of connectives, some simple, compound and a few complex sentences, some vocab chosen for effect, some adjectives, some mainly simple adverbs and speech marks. These are all with L3 and speech marks moving into L4. However, the piece lacks a more developed story structure required for L3 and vocbularly could be stronger (verbs in particular). It's still a L3, but these aspects for development would bring it down to a 3b, perhaps 3c if we are being mean!
    Ways forward:
    - ensure the child knows that in each sentence there should be a subject and verb (someone/something doing/having or being).
    - play a sentence detective game, put sentences and sentence fragments around the room and ask the child (with others) to collect them and make a piles of sentences and not sentences
    - play a symbol game (change all the puncutation in a text to other symbols e.g. * ^ %) ask the children to work out which is the full stop, question mark, comma and so on (these can be adapted to the level of the children) they then make a key; you can make these easily by using find and replace on word; you can also ask the children to make some of their own when they get the hang of it

Teach a beginning/middle/end story structure. I usually teach: Beginning- WWW (who, when, where)/Middle: Problem (what happens to cause a problem?)/End; Resolution (How is the problem solved?) At L4 and 5 I teach cliffhanger and twist endings for variety. At high level 5 I teach flashback and parallel plots.

Develop the use of stronger verbs by collecting different verbs for key words such as said, saw, went, walked etc. Ban these words in writing. You can play at acting things out- wander through the door, storm through the door, etc. You can play a guessing game where you list synonyms and then a child comes through the door in that way and the rest guess the word they chose. This helps them visualise the word. You can do this with words for said by saying things in different ways,'Rhubarb!' he shouted/yelped/grumbled, etc.
    Work on noun phrases. List nouns and practise putting adjectives before it- The dog... the small, scruffy dog. When confident with this, you can post modify the noun (put descirption after it), e.g. The small, scuffy dog with the orange collar.
    Set 3 targets at a time for aroundf 4 weeks. Make the children self mark them. Each target in a different colour pencil must be evidenced- e.g. I will use at least 8 strong verbs- the child then underlines the strong verbs in the pencil determines whether they have met it.
    Will post re. Child 2 separately.

4. For child 2:
    CL and FS are more consistent, there are some descriptive phrases (cold, dark room; dark and windy). sentence structure is good. Some connectives are used and simple, compound and complex sentences. Again the story structure is weak- weaker than child 1. There needs to be a development of story language although little connecting phrases such as, 'At last...' show that there is some understanding of this. Punctuation beyond FS and CL is needed. There si some variation to sentence starters (not always starting with the, a, I etc.).
    This is also a L3 and I would award 3b.
    Look at my previous comments for child 1 as there are a number of simialr issues.
    Ways forward- more ideas:
    - punctuation development: cut up sentences and relevant (at correct level) punctuaiton and ask children to make up sentences using them; try human sentences (children coming out annd making the sentences you say) with them. Also try physical punctuation- agree physical signs (with hands) for punctuaiton marks then put unpunctuated sentences on the board (or cut up in strips on table matched to need) and ask the children to read and visaully punctuate them.
    - teach the children about the 5 senses. Introduce objects and try to list words for each sense (obviously taste isn't common but you can usually get 3 or 4 for each).
    Hope this helps. I have some powerpoints and a few resources I have made in the past. If you'd like them send me a message and an email address.

5. Wow this is excellent advice!! Thank you for your detailed comments so much! I have sent you a message!
    x