1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling Year One Children in the Autumn Term

Discussion in 'Primary' started by pinkprincessophelia, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Please help!!
    My year partner and I were pulled into the Head's office as she has some concerns about our levels that we submitted at the end of the Autumn term.
    She told us that it looked like some of our children had gone backwards. She then told us her expectations for levels.
    So if a child comes out of Reception with a score of 8 or 9, they should be 1a at the end of Autumn. If they come out with a 6 or 7, they should be a 1b at the end of Autumn. And if they come out with a 4 or 5, they should be a 1c.
    This seems extremely high to me and certainly wasn't expected two years ago when I worked in Year One before.
    Does anyone know if this is appropriate or is what is expected across the board?
    As I would never put a child at a 1a at this point in Year One as it means they should be a level 2b by the time they leave?!
    Any advice would be helpful!!
    Thank you
    x

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Errr I honestly think you should put a child at whatever level they are at. If they are advanced and a 1a then so be it. A 2b at the end of year 1 and so a 3c at the end of year 2 is not exactly unheard of.

As long as you have evidence to justify your levels then then your HT will be satisfied with whatever they are. If children have gone down, and there are always some, then be able to say why and what you are doing.

But for goodness sake don't tell your HT you aren't giving children a 1a in case they are a 2b at the end of the year!

3. I think it is difficult to have enough evidence for a child to be 1a in Autumn of year 1 because of their short experience of national curriculum. For instance in maths, their ability to calculate might be strong but have they had enough time and input to show that they are also strong with shape, space and measure? What about problem solving? You have not had enough time to teach the requirements of a high level 1 in the first term. Same for writing - their writing might be quite good but can you show that it is strong across the board including instructions, non-fiction, recounts, narrative, poetry etc.

4. I had 3 children at 2c by xmas (they are G&T though). We filled in APP sheets for our top 3 groups (not enough evidence for lower groups) and those 3 children were 2c, the other 3 in my top group were all 1a. Dont forget on the APP sheets for level 1 i does say "with support". But as these 6 children were going into the the level 2 boxes, a lot of independence is required to give those levels.
    The last poster who put has there been enought time to show strength across the board - i agree but then again if you dont cover certain units until later in the year then of course you wont have evidence and obviously we have to input levels by xmas. Im confident that my top group are all 1a or 2c based on what we have done and to be honest if they are that good already then i have no doubts that they will continue to excell and achieve high levels throughout the rest of the year when we do different styles of writing.