1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling work

Discussion in 'Primary' started by theictdungeon, Jan 31, 2012.

1. theictdungeon

theictdungeon New commenter

Does anyone else find it really difficult to level individual pieces of work? Our head has told us today that she wants us to level a piece of work at least once a fortnight. As well as bring what seems like a huge amount of work, I'm not sure how beneficial it will be. I was under the impression you were only able to give levels from seeing a wide range of work after a good period of time, not for individual pieces of work. Anyone any experience of this?

Cheers

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Ridiculous.
    Nor me. Not very.
    I quite agree.

3. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Probably a silly question but 1 piece of work per child, per subject once a fortnight, or 1 piece of work literally, once a fortnight? The first is ridiculous, pointless and pretty much guaranteed to eat into what id consider a reasonable work/life balance. The latter could be perhaps to keep on top of assessments on an ongoing basis and to make levelling more accurate possibly.

4. Its impossible because depending on what genre of writing it is that is being levelled, a good chunk of criteria to meet a certain level will not be present.
    Stupid and pointless.
    The second my head came out with this kind of BS I'd be on the jobs websites.

5. greta444

greta444 New commenter

I level a piece of work (english, maths or science) about once a fortnight. This gives me the information over several pieces of work as mentioned above. It's fine as I am pretty quick at levelling. An I do make sure the pieces cover a range of genre. Then, as we don't do sats, come May, I have evidence of a level over the year.

6. My head wants us to do APP grids for the whole class (30 chn) for Reading, Writing and Numeracy! With at least 2 APP writes per week - one being cross-curricular. This is on top of everything else the government has 'suggested'!!!!. I agree you get a very good idea of where individual children are at but it's a complete waste of time as it's impossible to teach to 30 individual targets!!!!!

I am sorry to say I hate teaching now. Well.....if you can call it teaching. Im not sure how much of my time is spent actually teaching. I know my kids and I know how to move them on without filling in a grid!! I know how I want to teach. Why cant they leave us to get on with it??!!

7. theictdungeon

theictdungeon New commenter

I feel exactly the same as you, blueboo. Everything was working very nicely and the children were doing very well when I was just left alone! Now everythings going wring for them now that things are being imposed in us.

The expectation is that we level a piece of writing and maths every fortnight. I was struggling with writing, but how the hell we level a piece of maths is completely beyond me. And yes, work life balance! A much much more experienced teacher than me told me how it took her all weekend to level some literacy work . Not really prepared to do that every other weekend!