1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling Maths Tests

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by torturedtrainee, May 16, 2011.

1. Hi, I want to include as evidence for QTS that I have levelled and marked a set of maths tests. Unfortunately I can't find the formula which allows me to level the test. ie how many marks must there be at each level and how they are distributed also what must a student score across the paper at each level etc. Can anyone help please?

torturedtrainee

2. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

AFAIK <u>the</u> formula is a figment of people's imaginations...
    What we do, when setting tests at two different levels is to award the lower level for 25% of marks gained, the upper level for just over 60% of marks gained, and then allocate decimal levels evenly between them (and either end).
    At GCSE, we've developed a 'formula' that I heard once at an edexcel conference (I'm not sure if I actually use their formula, or if mine is a derivative):
    To award a particular grade, students need:
    50% of marks at that grade, 80% of marks at grade below, 90% of marks at grades below that, and 10% of the marks for grades above. It seems to work quite well, provided the questions are graded carefully.
    Hope that helps.

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Why? You don't need to. It should be enough that you have marked them and incorporated something from the results in your development/lesson plans for your learners/classes.
    There isn't one - it'll depend on the content of your test; maths isn't a humanities subject where you can give extra credit for higher level solutions to questions (referring to multiple sources in answers, criticising sources for bias and so on) - in maths they can either do the so-called higher level topics or they can't.
    Maths tests are normally structured so that the weakest candidates can do about 30% of the paper (generally the first third of the questions), stronger ones the first 70% and the last 30% are from the extension questions you wish you'd been able to get to in your lessons [​IMG]
    So, in a paper that grades from L4-6, if they can answer the first couple of pages they're going to get a L4, if they can do all the paper (well) they're going to get a L6. (And you should perhaps offer those who get say, 90% or more the opportunity to try a L5-7 test. Or perhaps not, depending on school policies.)