1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling - I hate it!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Im in my third year of teaching and always start to stress when Im asked for assessment data.
    I
    try to be completely honest in my levelling but am aware children need
    to make so much progress, but not jump too high incase we then set next
    years teachers up to fail, etc etc.
    Last year I had apparently
    over-levelled my Y1s so this year I was cautious - and apparently
    under-levelled them and created concern that alot of our Y1s wont make
    L2 by the end of KS1.
    As I said i try to just be honest - but always have that annoying awareness that this is a numbers game! I hate it. We also have a myriad of assessment documents - APP sheets, school-designed target setting sheets etc and they all seem to vary in what they expect.
    Does
    anyone else have the same concern or do you just level as honestly as
    possible and then forget about the rest safe knowing you can justify
    it?

2. Im in my third year of teaching and always start to stress when Im asked for assessment data.
    I
    try to be completely honest in my levelling but am aware children need
    to make so much progress, but not jump too high incase we then set next
    years teachers up to fail, etc etc.
    Last year I had apparently
    over-levelled my Y1s so this year I was cautious - and apparently
    under-levelled them and created concern that alot of our Y1s wont make
    L2 by the end of KS1.
    As I said i try to just be honest - but always have that annoying awareness that this is a numbers game! I hate it. We also have a myriad of assessment documents - APP sheets, school-designed target setting sheets etc and they all seem to vary in what they expect.
    Does
    anyone else have the same concern or do you just level as honestly as
    possible and then forget about the rest safe knowing you can justify
    it?

3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin New commenter

From what I've seen, I agree it's a problem. I level according to evidence I've seen, which doesn't always go down to well as at the start of the year there are a number of children whose levels are lower than the end of the previous year. Personally, I think I'd rather know that a child in my class isn't making progress and consider why that it is, rather than bump them up a sub level (I wish they'd get rid of those) to appease my managers.

4. I've just spent my PAA today updating my APP files based on last term'sassessments and comparing my TA levels for the end of the term to the entry points from optional SATs. Very few chn have made progress, as I just don't have enough evidence for some areas... especially in Literacy where higher levels ask for evidence "across a range of writing".... I only teach my literacy group for 2hours a week, so the range of writing done is really not wide enough to say that yet for some statements.

5. Torey

Torey Occasional commenter

Could you and the Y2 teacher do some levelling together? Talking it through with someone else will really help.