1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling discussion

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by believe81, Oct 11, 2011.

1. believe81

believe81 New commenter

Hi,
    For some reason, the year 8 classes are fairly small this year (around 20 students). We have been doing quite a bit of discussion with all members of the class participating. I would like to know if anyone has levelled students based on discussion. If you have, how did you do this? I normally get students to prepare a little bit at the beginning of the lesson and in the past have completed a self assessment on discussion, not based on levels.
    I would be grateful for any advice offered.
    Thanks,
    B

2. Hi,
    I don't level from discussion because I can't then prove the level or get it moderated to prove standards are consistent across the Department.
    If we are doing discussion then the levelling activity might be the students having to produce a piece of written work after the discussion e.g. showing the fors/against of a topic and then their view etc.
    I like to ensure my back is covered so I can prove the accuracy of my marking and that of my team.
    Hope that helps.

3. This is a real shame and I personally think against the whole point of RE and a real curse in education. We are developing students minds in RE not checking if they can write!
    I completely disagree with what has been said. You can easily assess students RE skills using levels whilst they discuss.
    It depends on the topic being discussed but they generally follow as follows...
    Level 3 students can say what they think without reasons
    Level 4 can say what they think with a basic reason
    Level 5 students can say what they think with a relevant reason, with reference/evidence to key beliefs
    etc etc
    Any assessment you do in RE should be able to be recorded by a student and it should hold exactly the same value as those that are written.
    We have a flip camera and often record students who find writing/literacy tough. We have seen them achieve great things! Please don't say we're not then developing literacy like someone once said. This is pure differentiation taking into account individual needs allowing them all to succeed. We also allow them to write as well and take this all into thier assessment.
    Also, a tip for GCSE level, if yo uhave students who are allowed scribes in their exam don't make them write in lesson! They should speak their answer ( to a support teacher/into a recording device/ or to you/another student). Why assess them using a technique they won't actually use?!
    I got the best result out of a boy last year who I trained to say his answers and he did signifcantly better than if he'd written.
    We're not testing writing. We're opening minds....

4. Sorry I don't agree that this is RE, this is assessing enjoyment and participation. These are skills, probably linked throught the PLTS. Giving other people's opinions is important however.

Use the 'I can' levels to help develop RE based levels. You will require a lot of planning but think of the time saved not having to mark written work. Oh and if they use religious vocabulary then obviously this takes them up the levels.

5. believe81

believe81 New commenter

Hi,
    Many thanks for the responses. It's always useful to hear other peoples opinions.
    I have to agree with the comments by Egyptiangirl. Some of the comments by Durgamata, I already put into a self assessment grid, purely so students can highlight strengths and what they need to improve on.
    I think it's important when assessing to use a range of techniques and strategies. The next assessment can be written and more formalised, but students being able to communicate and express themselves clearly is an important skill that can be developed and weaker students who find written work difficult can take an active part.
    Thanks Egyptiangirl for your help with levelling. It has been very useful.
    B

6. Hi, just to add to the discussion we are currently looking at using English Speaking and Listening AFS and incorporating the RE levels into these.

7. WillowFae

WillowFae New commenter

I'd be interested to know how you are doing these teacherof. We only have 35 mins a week for RS (with no homework) and we do far more discussion than written work. One of the rationals is to make RS more of a break from the relentless written work in other lessons, and to allow them to explore their ideas in a different way.

8. I've added a resource here that gives the relevant English levels which we can use in RE to support literacy.
    Hope this helps someone
    [​IMG]