1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling childrens work with a scribe

Discussion in 'Primary' started by 22Bex, Apr 15, 2012.

1. Hi there, wondering if anyone can help me? I am a year 6 teacher and I have 3 children in my class all SA+ or SEN and when they write independently they barely scrape a 2c, however when they have a scribe they are capable of getting mid to high level 3. So which do I use for my teacher assessment levels? No one in my school has really gone down the track of having a scribe so there is no platform to start from - any help would be gratefully appreciated!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Are you sure it is them getting the 3, not the person scribing? What makes the difference? Really the only difference a scribe should make is with handwriting.

If they are year 6, you would be well advised to give them the level that they achieve all by themselves. Secondary schools do not want children arriving who are described as being a 3a, when actually they are a 2c!

3. Twinkles

Twinkles New commenter

The problem I've had with using scribes is that they tend to write what they 'know' the child means rather than the exact words that the child says, including grammatical errors, omissions and so on. It's also really difficult not to add correct punctuation, or lead the child to putting it in by suggestion when you're scribing for them.

4. zugthebug

zugthebug New commenter

try scribing for them yourself so you know what they can actually do. Have an ASD child and a dyslexic child both have scribes. ASD because verbally very articulate but asked to write it you get 3 sentences max (have had meeting with SENCo from secondary school so they know what we are doing), Dyslexic because he would have to read work to me anyway or i can't read it so cutting out the middle man!
    they have to dictate with punctuation or the TA doesn't punctuate for them. i have a very expereinced TA who knows they can't interpret what the child meant. so much so that ASD had a bad day when it was assessed writing and used no capital letters, the piece i got had no capitals with a not stated ChildX did not state capital and so none were used. Both children are now able to dicate spech punctuation, commas and paragraphs. parents have bought voice recognition software and secondary school is looking at some kind of tablet or netbook for class writing.

5. Minniemix- Yes thats what I have been doing all year-what they achieve on their own- and yes i really does make a difference but I take your point. Thanks you

6. zugthebug- thank you very much- thats very useful!