1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling assessment

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by penguindecay, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Dear anyone who can help,

I'm doing my PCGE and have just started levelling some end of topic exams. They are all out of 40, but one is for Y7 and the other is for Y8. I'm having a terrible time working out how to level the marks, what should I use for a basis? What percentages should I use for level 4, 5, etc. Thank you for reading,

penguindecay

2. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Sorry but you're asking the impossible. Assuming that you mean national curriculum levels:
    (a) they can't be used for individual pices of work - that's not what they're designed for
    and (b) they can't be awarded as a conversion of a mark out of anything for anything.
    The descriptors for levels in the national curriculum are the same for every Year and they're only meant to be used once every two or three years - <u>at the end of key stages</u> from 1 to 3 (<u>i.e. when there's enough evidence</u>). This applies to every subject in the NC.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Parents/Schoolslearninganddevelopment/ExamsTestsAndTheCurriculum/DG_10013
    If someone's asking you to do a totally unrealistic sort of "levelling", then that someone will have to tell you how to do it.

3. Thanks, I was getting down trying to work out how on earth to do it, and couldn't really find anything on it.

4. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

Well. no you wouldn't.
    Were you given a mark scheme for the award of marks, at least?