1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Levelling/APP

Discussion in 'Primary' started by smiley786, May 15, 2011.

1. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

Hi
    I was just wondering what other teachers do.
    End of year levels - Do you give children level they are secure at or level they are working at?
    e.g. - working at 2b but secure at 2c. So for the end of year assessment - would you put 2b or 2c?
    My school currently put the level the children are secure at. Is that how it is supposed to be? Other schools I have worked at has always been level the child is working at.
    Thanks for any replies in advance!

2. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I tend to think about whether a child is a 2, 3 or 4. Then I will think about whether they are secure in that level, in which case they get a b, confidently showing some aspects of this level, so they get a c or well on their way to the next level up, so they get an a.
    I don't think it's possible to say that a child is secure at a 2c but working at a 2b. Does it work like that? I didn't think so. I thought they were either secure at a level 2, or not.

3. smiley786

smiley786 New commenter

bump
    What are age related expectations for Year 1 children?

4. We use a best fit model so if a child has all of 2cs and just a couple of 2b points we would level them as a 2c, but if they had more 2b points (even if some still to achieve) we would say they were a 2b. At my school if Year 1's are a 1a by the end of the summer they are considered to be 'on track', not sure how that compares to other schoools.

5. NQT1986

NQT1986 Occasional commenter

At my school, Year 1 *should* leave with a 1b, to make them 'on track' for a 2b at the end of Y2.