1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level of support in classroom

Discussion in 'Scotland - Primary' started by bluerabbit, Mar 6, 2011.

1. I have a class of 29 Primary 1 children and have a classroom assistant timetabled for approximately one hour each day. The school down the road has a Primary 1 class with 18 children and a SLA (who is also used as a classroom assistant) timetabled for 4 mornings a week. It seems to me that the demands of the job are becoming greater and the support is being reduced. My school will be losing yet another classroom assistant in the next month as part of budget cuts. I would be interested to know how other primary teachers are finding the situation.

2. I have a class of 29 Primary 1 children and have a classroom assistant timetabled for approximately one hour each day. The school down the road has a Primary 1 class with 18 children and a SLA (who is also used as a classroom assistant) timetabled for 4 mornings a week. It seems to me that the demands of the job are becoming greater and the support is being reduced. My school will be losing yet another classroom assistant in the next month as part of budget cuts. I would be interested to know how other primary teachers are finding the situation.

3. I have a class of 23 P3/4 children (including at least 3 dyslexics; possibly 5) and no classroom assistant time at all. Had P1 class last year and got an hour a day and a child with motor control difficulties (dispraxia). The demands of the job ARE becoming greater, as you say, with the rush to inclusion of all but those with the most severe difficulties and LS and Classroom Assistant time being cut or axed altogether. This means that we have to make a very difficult choice between giving valuable support to children with difficulties or to concentrating on teaching the rest of the class - not an easy task!

4. I know that it's no substitute for 'proper' support but could you put out a plea for parents to help on a rota basis. In my school they are a huge help - if only to keep children on task. Some are a huge help but all make a positive difference.

5. You really shouldn't have 29 P1s. My LA wouldn't allow it but I know it is still legal. Once upon a time there were classes of 33 P1s but the children, parents and had different expectations and there was less pressure from above. Would it be possible to involve children from the upper classes? Paired reading can be very successful. We took part in a project which involved older pupils working with younger classes to develop maths skills through playing games. Good luck
    babette
    Does your school use synthetic phonics? It has made a huge difference in our school. This is an interesting link.
    http://www.rrf.org.uk/archive.php?n_ID=32&n_issueNumber=46

6. Hi Mister8
    We do use synthetic phonics and have done for quite some time, I know that all of the children in my class with potential dyslexia have been taught using this system either by myself or my stage partner; I was in infants until this year. However, these children are lacking sustained reinforcement of phonic blends by not being supported in class (by either a CA/PSA) due to cutbacks in provision. Despite the best efforts of myself and my fellow teacher they are still having some difficulties which can't be ironed out without targetted input. In an already overcrowded curriculum ,I am afraid, time is something I don't have the luxury of.

7. weegoose

weegoose New commenter

In my school next year it's looking like there will be around 40! Of course there will be 2 full time teachers but in one classroom it's just a total joke.
    There are already 2 teachers at p2 and p3 because of huge sizes but nowhere to split them up!