1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

level expectations for each year group - please help!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by takethatno1fan, Jun 30, 2007.

1. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

Please could someone tell me the 'official' level expectations for the end of each year group.

I am really disappointed that my SMT have labelled some of my class 'low achievers' becasue they have only moved on 1 level. But when I plot back from Y2 - they can't possibly be expected to move on 2 sublevels each year can they???

(I teach Y4/5)

2. takethatno1fan

Please could someone tell me the 'official' level expectations for the end of each year group.

I am really disappointed that my SMT have labelled some of my class 'low achievers' becasue they have only moved on 1 level. But when I plot back from Y2 - they can't possibly be expected to move on 2 sublevels each year can they???

(I teach Y4/5)

3. It really depends on what they got in the KS1 SATs. In lower KS2 they should make a levels progress and in upper KS2 they should make a level.
    Therefore if they came up from KS1 on a 2A they should be a 3A by the end of Year 4 and therefoe a 4A in Year 6.
    Some schools expect 2 sublevels a year. I teach year 3 and the chidlren are average if they achieve a level 2a-3b according to the analysis distribution sheets we use. I personally think 3b is above average for year 3 really.

I hope this helps. I take it you meant 1 sublevel and not one level as surely one level in a year is some achievement.

4. Im Y4 have have been told 3b is average for that

5. takethatno1fan

sorry, I did mean 1 sub-level.

Surely, it is unrealistic for children to move on 2 sub-levels each year.

For e.g. Y3 - 3c
    Y4 - 3a
    Y5 - 4b
    Y6 - 5

Wouldn't it be lovely, if this was achievable.

I want some hard evidence to show my Head that moving from a 3c in Y3 to a 3b in Y4 is not low acheiving!

Can anyone point me to any official level expectations?

6. 3 sublevels over 2 years works out to be 1 and a half or really one sub level in one year and 2 in the next. So those that made one sub level this year should really make 2 next year to be working at expected levels.

7. takethatno1fan

That was my argument missmaths, that children should realistically progress 1 level over 2 academic years? But was told that they should be making 2 sub-levels each year.

I don't think that is realistsic, so was looking for some evidence to back up my argument.

Thanks for your help on this.

8. JoJo37

JoJo37 New commenter

We've been told our children must make 2 sublevels progress every year.

9. We work on children moving 2 sublevels per year.

10. takethatno1fan

Does this mean JoJo that your average children are expected to get level 5c at end of Y6?

11. I live in East Sussex and the LEA decides how much prgoress a child should make every year! Most of which have to progress 2 sub levels over a year. So maybe check with your LEA?

12. yr 2 average pupil - level 2b
    If all expected to make 2 sublevels per year, as you say:
    yr 3 - 3c
    yr 4 - 3a
    yr 5 - 4b
    yr 6 - 5c
    In other words, all average children in year 2 are expected to be well above average by year 6.

Realistically, good progress is between 1 and 2 sublevels per year.

A 3c child in year 3 might have only just scraped into 3c, but end the year as a high 3b - it will appear to be just 1 sublevel, but the underlying progress could be almost 2 sublevels.

Unfortunately, from the bald sublevels, no-one can tell which end of 3b they are at. (But the year 4 teacher will probably easily get 2 sublevels out of the same child with no more effort than it took to get one sublevel in year 3.)

Overall, for the whole cohort, you'd hope to see an average progress of between 1 and 2 sublevels, but that does not mean that the children who only register one sublevel in a particular year are actually making less than adequate progress. They will very likely make 2 sublevels the following year (not necessarily of course, and it is a good idea to keep an eye on their progress - but not to assume without any further thinking that they have made progress.) Unfortunately this isn't at all obvious unless it affects your performance management and you have to think hard about it!

Even FFT table D results from the highest-achieving schools) get just under 2 sublevels per year.

Average achievement is, of course, not good enough, because everyone has to be above average...

It's all very well saying 'but they're targets, you need to aim high' (what I've been told) - what happened to SMART targets: achieveable and realistic?
    OK. I'll shut up for a bit now. And go back to analysing pointless points. Sorry I went on so.

13. I have found this it is from the lancs site but is also on the new primsry strategy. It's a bit confusing at first but look at the colours
    grey = average level
    yellow = underperforming

It is arranged in terms so for the summer term look at the colours on the right hand side

Maths/writing/reading year 4

average = secure 3 and upper 3 eg 3b/3a
    underperforming = 2a/3c

http://www.lancsngfl.ac.uk/nationalstrategy/primary/getfi...

http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/primaryframeworks/introd...

Hope this helps you with you concrete evidence

14. some of my class have stayed the same but two went up four sublevels, and others were in between. I think 1 level in two years is expected but it depends on the child, teacher assessment or test results (may have an off day).
    One boy came in at 3b for maths. In the practice QCA paper we did (2003 test) he got a 4a. In the actual QCA test (2006 test) he got a 3a. How do I justify the fact that he went up 1 sublevel?

15. With something like that you have to use yor TA. Do you really think he is nearly a 5. Will he get a 5 next year? You didn't mention what year group you are.

It is lovely to make such good progress with your class however you have to think of the next teacher especially as performance is going to be linked to pay.
    More importntly you have to think of that child if you put them down as a 4a they are going to be given work to help them make progress to a 5. If they are not really 4a then that child might struggle and get stressed about their work.

At the end of the day you record what you think it is right. If it was me I would put 3a/4c

16. I'm in Y4. Yes I played it safe and went by the QCA results 3a. He definitely isn't 4a across all the strands.

17. Just out of interest when did you do your practice paper? was it mid year?

18. It's comforting (or is it disturbing?) to see that other schools are going wildly over the top with the use of sub-levels. Sub-levels, I seem to remember not that long ago, sub-levels went something like this:
    For example:
    3A Good level 3, but not quite a level 4
    3B Secure level 3
    3C Just enough for a level 3
    And that was it.

Now the anal, paper-loving heads and teachers have added descriptors to these. (Such people should be rounded up and given jobs as accountants.)

So now heads and teachers who want the best for their children but are a little dim or are too lazy to educate themselves on the rationale behind levels, are abusing the idea behind sub-levels and some, like your head, takethatno1fan, are pushing foe 2 sub-levels a year.

As dillsage says, everyone wants to be above average, but levels aren't meant to measure averages, but to define expectations. Attaining Level 4 at end of Year 6 is the EXPECTED level, not the average level. And no one should be EXPECTING 2 sub-levels a year progress since the official expectation is 3 sub levels over 2 years.

Takethatno1fan, you should politely tell your head to read the documents on levelling. Having said that, there isn't that much official stuff around because it isn't meant to be that complicated!

19. Yes, but the 'target' progress, from the LEA, appears now to have sneaked up to be 2 sublevels. And performance management (and pay) seem to be linked to this. What is really worrying is that it sets teachers up against each other within the same school (each one needing to be the one to get the magic two sublevels per child) - it is really bad for morale (and consequently I think it has also already impacted on the quality of experience for the children in our school, with all the teachers being so demoralised).

20. The QCA are currently working on some development materials which are being piloted in Manchester. They will contain Assessment Focus Areas within each Level and are labelled as 'intelligent sublevelling'.

They are due out January 2008.