1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 8 APP

Discussion in 'Science' started by laurajb2005, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Hi everyone
    I have a student who is targeted at level 7 but has chosen to aim for level 8 in science by the end of year 8. He is very ambitious.
    Does anyone have any clue as to where I can get some ideas for tasks to stretch the learning and also does anyone know where i could get examples of high level 7/ level 8 work to show the standard required.
    Please help because I am really stumped
    Thanks
    ladyjane

2. Hi everyone
    I have a student who is targeted at level 7 but has chosen to aim for level 8 in science by the end of year 8. He is very ambitious.
    Does anyone have any clue as to where I can get some ideas for tasks to stretch the learning and also does anyone know where i could get examples of high level 7/ level 8 work to show the standard required.
    Please help because I am really stumped
    Thanks
    ladyjane

3. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

Level 8

2. show how much uncertainty there is in the accuracy of data and the conclusions generated.
    <font face="TTE27E9D08t00">3. describe (using genetics) how some characteristics are inherited.
    </font><font face="TTE27E9D08t00">4. use graphs to explain patterns of change in a habitat.
    </font><font face="TTE27E9D08t00">5. generate the chemical formula for a compound.
    </font><font face="TTE27E9D08t00">6. use chemical formulae to write a balanced symbol equation.
    </font><font face="TTE27E9D08t00">7. use chemical knowledge to suggest methods for making new compounds.
    </font><font face="TTE27E9D08t00">8. use calculations which require more than one step.
    </font><font face="TTE27E9D08t00">9. explaining what a graph is showing.
    </font>

4. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

5. p1j39

p1j39 New commenter

After 10 years teaching, I'm still looking for a GCSE students of any grade to be able to do this!

This is where the levels/APP fall down. For a 14 year old to do these, the context would surely have to be at a very basic level?

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I too find a large number of GCSE students unable to do these.
    To be honest APP is a load of rubbish and I don't believe that it helps the children understand where they are or what they can do. However I'm not sure if the context would be at a basic level - it shouldn't be (it is after all level 8) but it probably will be.

7. I thought that level 8 stuff was really the things that only occur at GCSE, such as radioactivity.

8. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I have no idea, I've taught level 8 (was it EP back in the day? Can't remember) students at KS3 before now but can't remember what extra I was doing with them.

9. http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/324857
    This publication may help.