1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 6 paper 2 optional maths query

Discussion in 'Primary' started by safetyforchildren, May 20, 2011.

1. Question 6 gives a box which is 11.5cm x 17.2 cm within which to draw the given plan details accurately. Are the childre really meant to convert to units by a factor of 0.9? in order to scale this units down or is the box inaccurately drawn?

2. Question 6 gives a box which is 11.5cm x 17.2 cm within which to draw the given plan details accurately. Are the childre really meant to convert to units by a factor of 0.9? in order to scale this units down or is the box inaccurately drawn?

3. On the web page where you print the papers from, it says........

Please take care when printing the mathematics papers. Each one contains a question which must be printed to precise dimensions. When printing the papers make sure you have selected 'None' in the 'Page scaling' drop down menu. If done correctly, the following will be evident:
    Paper 1 - the height of the triangle on page 14 will measure 4cm.
    Paper 2 - the flag on page 9 will measure 18x12cm.

Hope that helps.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Is that to draw the flag accurately? Only a couple of mine managed it.

5. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

I will admit to giving a <u>little</u> lee-way on that question, simply because the printing out wasn't as accurate as it was apparently meant to be, either my computer or my printer has a mind of its own!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

LOL Carrie, how could you?? I'd never do any such thing! (Yeah right!)

Nor would I spend the whole half hour taking the two pairs of compasses we could find in school (Eh? What?) round from pupil to pupil! Good thing it was an optional paper and no-one at all ended up borderline!

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

We love compassess! We spent a happy lesson drawing clown faces to specific measurements just before Easter and it seemed to pay off, at least they knew how to use them! I do have to keep my set in the cupboard however as they have been known to dig holes in the woodwork with them, rather than constructing triangles, circles and bisecting straight lines!

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Well exactly! I've drawn all sorts of flowers and faces with them, generally after SATs. But this is my first time in year 6 in my current school, and only my second year at the school, so I just assumed there was a set somewhere in a cupboard!

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Senior commenter

At least you found some ( even if only two!) when I moved into yr 6 they didn't have anything by way of what I would consider essential equipment, even the protractors were luminous colours and oapque, you couldn't have measured a line the width of a motorway with them! The Head thought I was a spendthrift, I was in her office practically every day insisting I couldn't teach without my shopping list of equipment ! Having moved up from R/1/2 I was used to having LOADS of practical equipment and couldn't see why the fact that they were yr5/6 should make any difference ( we were building base 3 and 5 abacus with playdough yesterday[​IMG]) I just give the orders straight to the Bursar now and cut out the middle-man!

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Now this is getting worse and worse! Not only are you me, you work in my school! I had to make a presentation to the chair of governors, HT and office manager last Sept, as to why we absolutely needed clear circular protractors (we actually got angle measurers in the end...yeay me!), clear 30cm rulers and scientific calculators. This was because the school already owned enough opaque protractors and cuboid shaped rulers to cover the country several times over and had bought the most basic of basic (toy looking) calculators just a year previously.

I got my way though!