1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LEVEL 6 or LEVEL 7?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by absbananas06, Feb 11, 2017.

1. absbananas06

absbananas06 New commenter

I am split in my decision, i just got my first assignment back, I got a level 6. Is it worth resubmitting to reach level 7 or will it really not matter in the job market.... i still get QTS.

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

You can find someone with every qualification in the land who has knowledge, but cannot teach.

You can find those who once fell short in academic terms who motivate children in the classroom like no other.

If your professional learning will drive you on to be even better in the classroom, even to tell the students your story, then you are the best judge of the value of your re-submission.

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Considering I don't know what you mean by 'level 6' and 'level 7', I really don't think it matters at the end of the day!

Getting a 1st class/upper second class degree is something that people understand, but getting some kind of grade attached to your PGCE is meaningless.

4. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Level 6 isn't post grad. If you want a PGCE as well as QTS then you need to be working at level 7.

5. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Oh! I thought you meant this was some kind of PGCE grading system, like 'outstanding' or 'good'! Haha. I get it now.

If you look at job adverts they specify PGCE with QTS - so if you want a job you need the PGCE, so you need the level 7 qualification.

mandala1 likes this.
  6. absbananas06

I get QTS regardless.... as mentioned at the end... so whether i get the PGCE level 6 or the PGCert Level 7 i get QTS.... so if thats the only thing that matters, i am not going to bother... the level 7 gives you 30 masters credits

7. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

Depends. If OP is in the south-east they could get a job just by whispering they have QTS. Without a PGCE they won't be employable abroad though, or in areas of the country where the teacher shortage isn't so evident.

blueskydreaming likes this.
  8. absbananas06

its still called a PGCE at level 6.... its called a PGCert at level7....

9. thesolitaryvendace

thesolitaryvendace New commenter

I know nothing about this, other than that we (SCITT trainees) have just had the "you can drop down to level 6 if your assignment is not L7" info. They phrased it that you DO still have a PGCE - a Professional Graduate Certificate of Education - and that no-one is likely to question it. I would find out exactly what you'll come out with!

10. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Ultimately it is your classroom ability that counts. Schools want good teachers .

11. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

It is very risky to resubmit because if you fail a unit on resubmission you fail the course. If you fail the course, you fail the pgce.
    Standard advice is to take the prof cert. as said by others, unless you want to work abroad you'll be fine.

12. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

On our SCITT, if we wanted to resubmit, they gave us one to one tutorials with lots of helpful advice. I did my degree 20 years ago and so found the academic writing side really hard. I passed two at L6 but resubmitted and got L7 for both. It was a lot of time and hard work, and many of the other students didn't bother, but it is just the nature of my personality that I wanted to prove to myself I could do it!

13. blicktoria

blicktoria New commenter

I received Level 6 for my final essay meaning I got a Professional Graduate Certificate in Education (level 6) as opposed to a Post Graduate Certificate in Education (level 7). The school only asked for my QTS certificate when I started and this does not state what qualification I have- just that I can teach. This was something I was really worried about but most schools will care more about your ability to teach rather than your ability to write a fantastic essay. Unless you want to teach abroad, you won't have any problems- and if you do want to teach abroad, the level 6 has the same letters so you can still say you have a PGCE!

absbananas06 likes this.
  14. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

I thought you had to demonstrate capacity for Level 7 for Masters and therefore worth considering if you intend to go down this route ?