1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 6 or Level 7?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by boat4boat, Jan 20, 2011.

1. The classifications Post Graduate Certificate in Education (level 7 award) and Professional Graduate in Education (level 6 award).

I am currently on the level 6 route, will this have an impact on job success at the end of the course?

2. The classifications Post Graduate Certificate in Education (level 7 award) and Professional Graduate in Education (level 6 award).

I am currently on the level 6 route, will this have an impact on job success at the end of the course?

3. katnoodle

katnoodle New commenter

When our uni told us to decide, it said it wouldn't have an impact on job success, and that it's more about the academic status of the course than the classroom practice. All those doing the Postgraduate route will have their assignments marked at master's level, and if they want to study further master's courses they will have credits towards that.
    So I don't think you need to worry!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My university told us it makes no difference. All it's saying is, your academic work is of a slightly higher standard if you go the level 7 route, and you'll have a few credits to transfer onto a masters course if you decide to do one within whatever the time limit is. Schools are looking for good teachers, not good academians. Of course it's possible to be both... but as long as you're a good teacher, that's all schools are bothered about.

5. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

My university told us it makes no difference. All it's saying is, your academic work is of a slightly higher standard if you go the level 7 route, and you'll have a few credits to transfer onto a masters course if you decide to do one within whatever the time limit is. Schools are looking for good teachers, not good academians. Of course it's possible to be both... but as long as you're a good teacher, that's all schools are bothered about.

6. Officially our uni told us it makes no difference, however our tutor mentioned that all the people that did level 7 last year got jobs straight away where as the people that did level 6 got jobs eventually but not for sept.
    I suppose when the job market is tough its just another way to make yourself stand out from the crowd

7. Whether you have the post graduate or professional graduate award will not make much, if any, difference to job prospects as schools/heads are interested in your ability to teach not yhour ability to achieve masters level in your academic work.
    The Mlevel (7) awards are more important if you plan to continue academic study to atain a full masters level.
    James