1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 6 Maths

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by jh282, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Hi,
    I am a primary school teacher currently teaching intervention groups. This year my school is entering pupils for the level 6 maths SATs paper and I am about to start taking the level 6 group.
    The school has bought some good L6 resources to support the children's learning and my planning, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books to support my subject knowledge? I have taught yr 6 for the past 2 years so have taught up to level 5 and am fine with some of the L6 curriculum but I would like to have a book to refer to on some of the more trickier aspects of L6 that I may not have taught before.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hi,
    I am a primary school teacher currently teaching intervention groups. This year my school is entering pupils for the level 6 maths SATs paper and I am about to start taking the level 6 group.
    The school has bought some good L6 resources to support the children's learning and my planning, but I was wondering if anyone knew of any good books to support my subject knowledge? I have taught yr 6 for the past 2 years so have taught up to level 5 and am fine with some of the L6 curriculum but I would like to have a book to refer to on some of the more trickier aspects of L6 that I may not have taught before.
    Thanks in advance!

3. Sorry if this is going to sound rude, but the tricker aspects of Level 6 never seem to get taught at primary school, even though a child miraculously arrives in Y7 with a TA of a 6 unable to do anything which I would consider to be the tricker stuff.
    For me, the tricker aspects of level 6 would involve equations involving brackets and unknowns on both sides of an equation?
    Increasing and decreasing by a percentage, and working backward to find the original amount?
    Angle properties involving parallel lines using correct terminology?
    A KS3 revision guide may help you.

4. googolplex

googolplex Occasional commenter

Reverse percentage changes are, IMO, more like level 8.
    That having been said, I'm no great supporter of this levelling nonsense - things got way out of hand under the National Strategy. For one, surely difficulty depends as much, if not more on the context of the question than the perceived 'level' of the concept? It's rather good news that Gove Almighty is planning a rethink, but I'm not holding my breath - we're bound to end up with something else equally daft...

5. I used to think they should be around that kind of area, but under the all powerful APP strands, the Level 6 calculating states "<table cellpadding="7" cellspacing="0">
    <tr><td>
    use proportional reasoning to solve a problem, choosing the correct numbers to take as 100%, or as a whole "
    Also not a massive fan of levelling or assuming linear rates of progress from KS2-KS4. But hey ho!
    </td>
    </tr>
    </table>