1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

level 6 maths sub-levelled objectives

Discussion in 'Primary' started by ajacobs, Apr 28, 2012.

1. Hi,
    Can anyone help?
    I previously created sub-levelled I can targets that went up to 5a, but now I need to extend into level 6. I realise, there is the arguments that it should be a straight level, not a sub-level that we report, but I still believe it is helpful to know if a child is a lower level 6, secure or higher level 6 and I know my school still uses sub-levels (or points) to monitor progress. I have looked endlessly for these on the internet, but to no avail and any links that did look like they might be fruitful were no longer there!
    Thanking you in advance.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There must be some somewhere for KS3...

3. That's what I thought! Someone must know!

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

5. Hi, did you manage to find anything or create your own? I too require something similar.
    Thanks

6. I did create something in the end of my own after a lot of internet searching. Not sure how good it is! I can send you a copy of it if you like?

7. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Not if I have my way!
    Half the problem with KS2/3 liaison is this insistence that things can be broken down into little bits. Either you know most of what you need to know for a level 6 - in which case you can be awarded a level 6 - or you don't, in which case you're quite simply not working at level 6.
    The problem with sub-levelling would mean that teachers would be tempted to teach only the things that they believed were required for 6c in a hope of scraping a 6. But to be working at level 6 you need a broad range of knowledge across all areas.
    Of course, mathematically one could argue for a 6c/6b/6a based on low, medium and high scores in a test, but if kids only know 1/3 of the L6 curriculum, they'll only get L6 on 1/3 of the tests they sit!

Tafkam (fighting the sublevel creep wherever possible)

8. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Post this on the maths forum. I think they think primary teachers are a bit too keen on this APP stuff.

9. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Holding back the tide...a lot of effort and ultimately impossible!

Drives me nuts as well.

Instead of 5 levels, divided into three, it would (in some ways) make more sense to have 15 levels. And ideally another 3 at level zero for those in year 1 working below level 1. Sooo an 18 level system for primary school!

I might flesh it out a bit and email the idea to that nice Mr Gove...

:)

10. Hi, I've put it in the resource area. Hope it helps.

11. ERU

ERU New commenter

I can't seem to find it. Do you have a link?

12. Thank you sooooooooooo much! This has saved me a BIG job tonight, I really didn't know where to start :)

13. hpblossom

hpblossom New commenter

At the secondary school my children go to, they do not use sub-levels a, b and c. Oh no, they divide each level into TEN subdivisions. My daughter is apparently now a level 7.4 for science and a level 6.8 for Maths. I am not kidding.

14. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You say it like it makes less sense than the a, b, c system! If anything, arguably Maths is the only subject where it might be feasible. Of course, the reality may be that because they like to use Excel to calculate things that they're using, e.g. 7.4, 7.6 and 7.8 to represent the three sub-levels. Or maybe 7.4 just means that they got a enough marks to get a L7 on the most recent test, and 40% of the marks required to reach the next level.

15. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Back in the days before sub-levels, my secondary maths department used to give levelled tests each term. If they got 64% on the level 5 test, that went in the spreadsheet as 5.64. I hope nobody thought we had 100 sublevels! (Some groups would do two tests at adjacent levels, so we had one column for odd levels and one for even levels.)