1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

level 6 in primary

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Nushibia, Feb 11, 2012.

1. <font size="2">Our primary cluster schools want potentially level 6 (G & T) students to be taught in our (outstanding secondary) school on at least once a week basis . Some of my colleagues think that maths department is already loaded with other responsibilities and could do without doing the job for primary school teachers. Are we being self-centred or is it only fair to say "No thanks. Can't do. Sorry".</font>
    <font size="2">Is anybody else out there who is being traeted in the same way?</font>

2. <font size="2">Our primary cluster schools want potentially level 6 (G & T) students to be taught in our (outstanding secondary) school on at least once a week basis . Some of my colleagues think that maths department is already loaded with other responsibilities and could do without doing the job for primary school teachers. Are we being self-centred or is it only fair to say "No thanks. Can't do. Sorry".</font>
    <font size="2">Is anybody else out there who is being traeted in the same way?</font>

3. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Why can't they teach their own level 6 pupils? ( I'm assuming you don't send your level 2/3 pupils to your cluster schools-perhaps you should suggest a 1:1 swap!)

4. Andrew Jeffrey

Andrew Jeffrey New commenter

I think they are well within their rights to ask, as they only want the best for their pupils and sense that you are more qualified and better placed to provide it than them.
    BUT - you are equally within your rights to say no, if you have enough to do to keep an outstanding provision for your current pupils.
    Why not say we'd love to help but sadly don't have the capacity to have them in for lessons - however, here are some superb activities/websites/problems/puzzles/ to really stretch them...

5. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Now that's a thought!!! I can see a new kind of school[​IMG]

6. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

An alternative way of looking at this is: "Fantastic - now we can easily get the best mathematicians from all our cluster schools together even before they start in Yr 7, which means they will really be able to hit the ground running in Yr 7 and will be a phenomenal cohort. Aren't we lucky that our cluster schools will let us do this!".

Just a thought.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

But these are "potential" level 6 children, not currently high level 6's who might benefit from additional extension and stretching, just bog standard level 5's! Certainly run a cluster day for the brightest if you want to ( or some additional support if you have a school with an exceptionally bright mathematician ) but whilst it might be something nice to do if you have the spare time to do it, I don't think primary schools should expect it!

8. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

I'm involved in two ways:

1) I'm visiting one of our feeder primaries once a week to run a workshop (high challenge, low stress) with 5 able students in Year 6 looking at Level 6 topics. They aready do some Level 6 with their class teacher, so I'm supplementing what the school does. We wouldn't have time to do this with all of our feeders though.

2) I'm a marker for the Level 6 tests in May. Anyone else doing this? I signed my contract yesterday - between 140 and 280 scripts per marker expected, at £2.85 a time. Training on Sunday 3rd June.

One more question, which I may also post on Primary: If I was a secondary Maths teacher not currently working in a school, would primary schools pay (say £50 an hour) for me to do groupwork with their potential Level 6 students?

9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Fraid not!
    Couldn't afford it, 1:1 tuition money unfortunately usually goes on those children who are borderline level 4's and level 6 work is done in class or as an afterschool club, which I run for free out of the goodness of my heart! We also have a STEM representative who works for free with our level 5/6 mathematicians on a weekly basis in the summer term ( and our level 3 Yr 2's in Spring)

Some larger primaries might but only when league tables begin to show Level 6 results!

( I'm becoming cynical in my old age!)