1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 6 at ks2

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by johnsonhl1, Nov 26, 2010.

1. Just posting in the hope some other primrary schools have potential level 6 pupils or that secondary teachers may be able to help. My colleague and I have 3 very able mathematicians in year 6 (all came out as 5a on the first practice sat we did) and we are struggling to keep them challenged. We have the level 6 descriptors and have covered some areas but don't necessarily want to keep teaching objectives from higher levels but want to broaden their curriculum with using and applying activities. We are both confident at teaching the maths itself but are struggling to find resources for the children to work independently and were hoping people may be able to help. We are currently spending hours searching the Internet which we are happy to do for these children but it is becoming more and more difficult and will only get worse when we have to revisit topics in spring term for the other children in the class (as well as trying to plan the rest of the primary curriculum!). If anyone has any ideas or resources or knows some good websites etc which may be of use, please please help. We really want to keep these pupils enthusiasm for the subject. Thanks in advance

2. Just posting in the hope some other primrary schools have potential level 6 pupils or that secondary teachers may be able to help. My colleague and I have 3 very able mathematicians in year 6 (all came out as 5a on the first practice sat we did) and we are struggling to keep them challenged. We have the level 6 descriptors and have covered some areas but don't necessarily want to keep teaching objectives from higher levels but want to broaden their curriculum with using and applying activities. We are both confident at teaching the maths itself but are struggling to find resources for the children to work independently and were hoping people may be able to help. We are currently spending hours searching the Internet which we are happy to do for these children but it is becoming more and more difficult and will only get worse when we have to revisit topics in spring term for the other children in the class (as well as trying to plan the rest of the primary curriculum!). If anyone has any ideas or resources or knows some good websites etc which may be of use, please please help. We really want to keep these pupils enthusiasm for the subject. Thanks in advance

3. little_miss_teach

little_miss_teach New commenter

Firstly I'm so impressed how hard your working to provide enrichment for your most able; its a shame that most get turned off from maths simply because of teaching to SATs mean they can only work to a certain level.
    Have you tried the nrich website; you could then provide them with problems / challenges related to the work the rest of the class are doing? They could also submit solutions to problems on it to encourage them?

4. Thanks for that. We are both new to year 6 and one of the sip actions was to improve the challenge for the more able. Luckily we both love maths but as we had the children in year5 we have already exhausted the year 6 resources last year! We have been doing a lot of problem solving recently and finally found some that they didnt find "easy" and finished in 5 mins! Will certainly have a look on that website thank you.

5. DM

DM New commenter

Bites tongue. Please do explore NRICH.

6. Looking as we speak. Desperately trying to broaden the curriculum instead of moving to higher level work as realise that was a mistake last year. Haven't come across children this able at maths in my short career (only 3rd year teaching ) and just trying to do my best for them.......eek!

7. Hi there,

I'm a secondary teacher and I find that challenging my top set yr 7 is a regular occurence. If you look as some of the national maths challenge junior material it is really good.

8. DM

DM New commenter

9. Thank you

10. DM

DM New commenter

11. pixel

pixel New commenter

Firstly, three cheers for wanting to enrich these kids.
    Secondly, all the suggestion above are well worth it. - The Alpha book is fabulous.
    Thirdly, do contact your linked secondary school(s). I'm in secondary and regularly go to the primaries to support the able mathematicians.

12. I was thinking similar
    For me there are two strands to extension. In short they are:
    (i) Empowering mathematical thinking as mentioned above in terms of exploring and rich maths
    (ii) Pure content of maths and advancing the understanding of core/content maths such as going from collecting like terms to simple equations to simultaneous to quadratic and so on
    For the (ii) I really believe there is no better than the Plymouth CIMT
    http://www.cimt.plymouth.ac.uk/projects/mep/default.htm
    There are year 7/8/9 programs which extend pupils without straying too far away from the sequentual learning of maths.
    I, personally would split the pupils time 2;1 or 3;1 ratio in favour of extending math knowledge/skills/facts/content to exploring rich maths

13. adamcreen

adamcreen Occasional commenter

Everything that's been said above :)

We send a teacher to one of our feeder primaries each week to work with 3 high-achieving students, doing all sorts of topics and activities, but not justd oing 'secondary level' work - Ben either picks something from the Nrich website or looks at where the students <u>aren't</u> doing as well and tries to pick that up in an interesting way.

I've also (as HOD) been called into various other feeders to give them advice, the alpha beta gamma books are good, I can't find my list of other stuff but will try to track it down.

14. Thanks everyone. Your advice and suggestions are very much appreciated. We have contacted our main secondary link but without much success so will begin with the above ideas which all sound great. Thank you.

15. I have two similar, level 6 at the end of yr 5 and use the alpha book with them mainly during lessons. We also have lunchtime sessions where they explore areas of maths of interest to them-they are keen on geometry and algebra and last week used their knowledge of angles within triangles to find a way of calculating interior angles of polygons-the discussion between the two was fascinating! I try VERY hard not to encroach too far into yr 7 topics and try to broaden rather than continuously aim higher ( I would agree the nrich site is fantastic) but they are very competitive!

16. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

There are lots of interesting rich activities in the SMILE stuff. We have kept masses of the cards which make good extension and support material. Unfortunately none of it is easily transferable as it's all hard-copy. Someday I <u>will</u> get it on to computer! (but not right now).
    Perhaps there's a secondary school near you who could let you have copies?

17. Nazard

Nazard New commenter

Liam - the nice people at the STEM Centre have saved you <u>hours</u>!
    Go to their website (http://www.nationalstemcentre.org.uk/elibrary/collection/45/smile-cards) - you can download loads of wonderful stuff, including SMILE cards - all carefully scanned!

18. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

At Key Stage 2, it is a statutory requirement to report the Teacher Assessment. This is the level awarded for all the work through the years of the key stage. Of course, this could be a Level 6.
    Schools also are required to report the result of the KS2 National Curriculum Test (NCT) where there is one. (This does count as 50% of the end of key stage result for children who have taken the test.) The highest level for NCT in this case is 5.
    If a child has not taken NCT in maths (for example) then the Teacher Assessment (Level 2, 4, 7, whatever) IS the end of key stage level and is reported to parents.

19. DM

DM New commenter

I have just checked the KS2 ARA markuss and the system will not permit a school to award a Teacher Assessment of Level 7 (6 is acceptable though which was news to me).

20. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

OK, DM, so no 7s. Wonder why. Very strange. Suppose it'd be a very rare occurence, anyhow!
    No reason why TA shouldn't be higher than the maximum allowed on the test, though, is there? They are independent assessments, after all. Neither is verifying the other and neither should "contaminate" the other.