1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide in the welcome lounge and help forum.

level 6 at key stage 2

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by YesMrBronson, Nov 10, 2012.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

I thought pupils could only achieve level 5 maximum in the end of KS2 examinations?
    I work in secondary and I teach music so I don't have much to do with KS2 data (we get none for music).
  2. Surely the question should be how can children achieve level 6 at KS2? I say this somewhat tongue in cheek.......but....... is it not possible to get a level 6 from the simple toting up of the marks without answering a single level 6 question correctly and even if this is not the case you could still get a level 6 without answering enough level 6 questions to show competency?
  3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

No. The L6 questions are not part of the main paper; there is a separate Level 6 test made of questions targeted at that level and for which children must correctly answer a reasonable percentage.
  4. Ah thanks. I stand corrected. When we have KS3 papers the level 6 is included and I did once work out that it was possible to do what I outlined above. I have also marked papers where a student has answered a good number of higher level questions correctly but messed up on the lower ones. Has this separate Level 6 paper always been the way L6 is achieved (in all subjects - even the old science one)?
  5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

There hasn't been a Science test for a few years, and before that it might be nearly ten years since we last had L6 tests at all. Can't remember if there was one for Science!