1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

level 5 in KS2

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by ranahisham, Mar 19, 2012.

1. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

hello ,

My son is in year 5 and is achieving a secured level 4a (according to the last parent evening). He was in the highest group now he has has been downgraded to the second highest group .
    I would like to do some work with him at home so he can achieve a level 5 like the rest of his last group.

Can someone direct me to a website for worksheets, books or anything that can help him go forward.
    He loves maths but he is very upset not be in the highest group anymore.

Thank you for your help

2. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

hello ,

My son is in year 5 and is achieving a secured level 4a (according to the last parent evening). He was in the highest group now he has has been downgraded to the second highest group .
    I would like to do some work with him at home so he can achieve a level 5 like the rest of his last group.

Can someone direct me to a website for worksheets, books or anything that can help him go forward.
    He loves maths but he is very upset not be in the highest group anymore.

Thank you for your help

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Practice his times tables. Google (or search the resources on this site) for "multiplication worksheets", "addition worksheets", "subtraction worksheets" and "fraction worksheets".

Work with him to make sure he can add, subtract, multiply and divide whole numbers, decimals and if you can do fractions too that really is the icing on the cake.

Get him involved in anything at home that involves measuring such as home baking.

Don't worry about the "level 5" stuff - maths levels are all made up anyway - what will hold him back is not if he can remember "which shape is the rhombus and which is the kite", but "does he understand that area is found by multiplying" - because an awful lot of kids don't understand that because they cannot make the connection between counting the squares in a rectangle drawn on squared paper and multiplying the sides as they don't recognise 5 by 4 giving an area of 20 is 5x4 = 20 (as they don't know 5x4 is 20).

(Kumon maths is excellent for this purpose - if you can afford it.)

4. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

Thank you Paul for your reply.

He is very good in is multiplication table . He is in level 17 on the cracking times table (square number, time table of 14) He has to answer an set of multiplication (50 to 100) in less that 3 minutes.

He also knows his decimals and his fractions and can subtract add multiply and divide them.
    I will look at the resources on the website.

Thank you again for your advices.

5. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

If he can reliably multiply and divide decimal numbers and can add fractions with different denominators (and he can keep it up - not just do it today but do it next week when you didn't spend an hour with him on Sunday going over it all again), then forget "levels", he'll thrill his secondary school teachers!

(If you want to expand things a bit and perhaps improve his "level", you could bring in some measurement of space and volume - get him to measure out where to put some plants in the garden, walk a kilometre with him so he knows what it is. Pace across a football field with him so he knows what 100m x 70m (ish, football fields can be different sizes) looks like. Do some baking and have him measure things out. Make sure he knows what a kilogramme bag of flour/pasta feels like..)

6. ranahisham

ranahisham New commenter

Thank you Paul,

The space and volume measurement is a great idea !! he always struggles with it as he doesn't really know the difference between a kilograms and 100 grams !!

Thank you again for your time.