1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

LEVEL 5 DIPLOMA EDUCATION AND TEACHING ADVICE??

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Apurple88, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Apurple88

Apurple88 New commenter

Hello can anyone help?

I was unable to get onto my pgce course as i failed the numeracy qts skills test three times by two marks each time!!!!

However instead of giving up i have learnt that i can complete a level 5 diploma in education and teaching, i can do this online or class based, and once completed can go on to apply for QTLS.

Has anyone else done this?

Does anyone have any recommendations for online learning companies to go with?

I work in a special school so i intend to stay in this school whilst i train.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thank youuuu :)

2. jaguarette

jaguarette New commenter

Yup, I've just done a Diploma in Teaching in the Lifelong Learning Sector (the Level 5 DTLLS Diploma). I did it online, through a local teaching college, and I was told originally that I could go on to apply for QTLS.

The school where I'm a TA originally allowed me to teach in order to get the 150 teaching hours (though I paid for the whole course myself); now that I've gained the Level 5 Diploma, they won't let me do any more teaching in order to gain QTLS. The extra part of the course costs another £500, but I can't attempt it in my current job.

In addition, I've spoken to lots of teaching admin people, and they're all telling me that they aren't interested in candidates wtih the DTLLS, even if they do have QTLS which I don't. Oh, and I initially took DTLLS because it was mandatory to for people to teach in Post-16 - and now that I have it, it's no longer necessary! I'm feeling a little bitter about my whole teaching qualifications experience.

(I did 10 months of the PGCE, and had to withdraw because of class discipline/no support). I did the DTLLS to get into teaching another way, so as I'm not closer yet, I'll save you the time.

I know this sounds doleful, and I am hoping to turn things around in the future. Good luck!

3. Ally Gavin

Ally Gavin New commenter

I'm currently doing the level 5 and work full time in a KS4 provision. You still need to get equivalent of grade c in english and maths for this course too.

4. adjohn84

adjohn84 New commenter

Hi,

Ive been looking at this course for a year and have done loads of research into it- Ive spoken to two heads and have inquired to many a HR department regarding jobs in secondary education and they have all come back and said this is satisfactory. Go for it!

jaguarette likes this.
  5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

It all depends upon what subjects you offer and what the local demand is. The E Bac has stimulated some key subject areas- History, MFL, Geography as well as the ones there are always shortages in; Maths, English and Science.
    However the job market is still very local and depends upon what curriculum local schools offer.
    The post 16 route is a back door into teaching aimed initially at experienced FE teachers looking to move to secondary schools.