1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3c no longer seen & recorded as a 'level 3' at the end of KS1.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by willowdog, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Some county guidelines are changing. Level 3 will be assessed and awarded only where a child is a secure level 3 (3b).

3C will no longer be accepted as level 3.

What do people think and what are the implications?

2. Some county guidelines are changing. Level 3 will be assessed and awarded only where a child is a secure level 3 (3b).

3C will no longer be accepted as level 3.

What do people think and what are the implications?

3. Earl Davids wife

Earl Davids wife New commenter

I can see that getting a level 3 at the end of KS1 may impact on KS2 but as far back as I can remember, Y2 teachers (at least in my school) told any parent whose child got a level 3 in the Y2 SATs that it was a low level 3 and much consolidation was needed to secure that level - especially when the levels SAT wise are so different between the key stages.
    Where does it end? Why bother to have levels a - b- c at all?
    Will they get rid of level 2C or 1C. Can't see through their reasoning I'm afraid.
    Working towards always made more sense to me :)

4. rc07

rc07 New commenter

I have always found that this is the case in my school. Unfortunately, this just means that any child showing any sign of being a 3c is given a 3b. Making my job as Year 3 teacher trying to then get them to 4c somewhat difficult.

5. Whatever LAs and schools do is probably irrelevant, isn't it? As far as DfE is concerned a 3 at the end of KS1 is a 3B. That is how RoL treats them. Unless it is being suggested that schools and LAs report their 3s as 2As, which sounds unlikely. I can see ofsted looking closely at schools where the L3s suddenly vanish.
    I struggle to get L3 pupils.

6. cinnamonsquare

cinnamonsquare Occasional commenter

This is true. And it has always been difficult when these "level 3s" get to Year 6 and are expected to be 5b (not just 5c) to show sufficient value added. I have never understood why a 3 at KS1 can't be a 3c or a 3b accordingly. The answer I've always been given is "so that it fits in with the statistics."

Utter nonsense.

7. veritytrue

veritytrue New commenter

Probably because the National Curriculum makes no such distinction.

8. T34

T34 Established commenter

Doesn't stop 2a, 2b and 2c though, does it.
    It's probably because it was originally level 1, level 2, level 3.
    Then for some reason the level 2 was made more detailed, the level 3 being left alone.