1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3 writing in Y2...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Phoebe Beeberbe, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Having worked in Y2, Y2/3 and also in upper KS2, I have had the chance to do a LOT of moderation of L3 work.

At our school, we focus more on the sentence structure of children as this seems to us to be the best indicator of a secure L3. I think people are often keen to award L3 when faced with a few elements of a couple of L3 AFs eg attempts at speech marks or paragraphing in what is otherwise a very basic piece of writing.

A variety in sentence structures and a range of connectives stretching a bit further than and/but/because prove more useful indicators for us. So being unable to use paragraphs might be quite a minor feature if the child was using some complex sentences.

2. It does use the words 'movement between paragraphs... and 'one sentence paragraphs' on the APP sheet, so does refer to paragraphs, but I think it is referring to sections in non fiction writing and ideas being grouped more than formal paragraphs.

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

APP level 3 sheet actually says 'paragraphs/sections' and definitely implies that they don't need to be perfectly accurate. And the main heading also says 'in MOST writing' so obviously not all the time.

some internal structure
    within sections of text
    e.g. one-sentence
    paragraphs or ideas
    loosely organised

· within
    paragraphs/sections,
    some links between
    sentences, e.g. use of
    pronouns or of
    adverbials

· movement between
    paragraphs/sections
    sometimes abrupt or
    disjointed

4. It's a tricky one - is the child starting to use sections, say, for non-fiction information texts? To be honest, if children are using other Level 3 features in their work, paragraphs should be easy to teach.

5. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

Thanks for your help. I was told by the KS2 leader in our school that a child must show paragraphing to be classed as a level 3 but everything you have said gives a greater picture of a level 3 child. Does anyone know of any online examples of childrens' writing at each level?
    Thanks for your input!!!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Here is a few examples from KS1. Some level 1, some 2 and some 3.

http://teachfind.com/search/apachesolr_search/writing%20assessment%20guidelines%20for%20levels%202%20and%203

7. Imtellingonyou

Imtellingonyou New commenter

When I look at the app the children are using different connectives, speech punctuation is pretty secure, tenses are accurate, sentence openers are developing but need more work as does genre strucutre (which is where paragraphing comes in). I know we're getting there but just wanted to check requirements for this strand. Would you say in a narrative that 3 paragraphs is sufficient (B/M/E)?
    Thanks!!!