1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3 Teaching Assistant Help!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Emtaylor90, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Emtaylor90

Emtaylor90 New commenter

Hello all!

New to this site so let me firstly introduce myself, I'm Emma, I'm 26 and I'm after some advice please..

I'm looking to get into working as a Teaching Assistant....I have been lucky enough to have been accepted on the Level 3 Supporting Teaching and Learning course at my local college, with a 2 day placement in a secondary school. However, I have not done the Level 2 which is usually required (I have only been accepted due to my experience and quals that I already have!)

What I'd like to know is, anyone else done this qualification without doing the Level 2 prior? (Am I being silly jumping straight "into the deep end")

Will an employer hold it against me that I haven't got my Level 2?

ANY advice will be hugely welcomed!

Many thanks :)

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi Emma
    The college must have been happy with your past experience and qualifications, otherwise they would have suggested that you start with a level 2. As you already have a placement set up, you should have no worries - and once you have the level 3 qualification, it won't matter a jot that you didn't start with level 2.
    Best of luck - you'll find lots of great advice on here as you work through the course.

3. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

If the college were happy to accept you then I would not worry about not doing level 2.

The only thing that I look for when shortlisting is where the candidate got their qualification from. I am happy with the local colleges but I don't really rate on line providers.

Good luck with your studies.

4. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Agree with the others. There are some who are put on the Level 3 straightaway. And surely the Level 3 trumps the Level 2 like a Maths degree trumping a Maths A Level?

When I took the Level 2 it was split into 'award' and 'certificate'. I forget which is which, but one essentially is theory and the other practical. While online courses may suggest lack of actual experience, it sounds like you do get it. Does the end qualification reflect this?

Good luck.

5. Moschop

Moschop New commenter

I started the level 3 qual a month ago. I have no classroom experience what so ever. Just midday and breakfast supervisor. This is all very new to me and I have no idea what to expect. It's 25 years since I finished school and I'm very nervous about messing this up.
    So anyone able to offer any info or support would be gratefully received.
    Thanks in advance

6. lilycorrigan

lilycorrigan New commenter

Keep persevering, never give up. Break A Leg (Good Luck in Theatre Talk).

7. landsmum1

landsmum1 New commenter

I am doing HNC early education and childcare at the moment and I have my qualification as an education support assistant level 6, I also done voluntary work at a local primary for 3 years, as well as other youth work, but nothing prepares you for when your out there in the classroom!!! I can only suggest u look at observations, assessments, theorists and children's rights to help prepare u for what lies ahead. Its hard work but extremely worth it. Good luck xxx

8. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Landsmum1 Goodness how do you get a Level 6 or do you mean you have a Degree?
    Em.
    I did the NNEB Diploma and that is considered a Level 3 although the tutors tried to push for a Level 4. I didn't do anything before this and it was absolutely fine. You had to work hard as we were the first year we had to continue on the old scheme as well as the new while it crossed over so we did 24 large assignments as well as the exams. Full time for two years plus loads of homework.
    Schools are just interested in the level you have.
    If you have completed other courses it should be fine. Good luck and come and ask if you get stuck.

9. bertie5641

bertie5641 New commenter

Do you intend to work in a secondary setting? I am an HLTA working in a primary school but have had considerable experience in both (I did a degree whilst working in a secondary school, employed full time as a Cover Supervisor). If your plan is to work in primary education then it would be more beneficial to do a placement in a primary setting. I have done placements in both. Primary schools tend to look for relevant key stage experience. As for going straight to level 2, go for it. You will be fine. Your experience to date will be of great benefit. Good luck!