1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3 TA qualification?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by lisahxxx, May 29, 2011.

1. Hi
    Does anyone know if I can do a level 3 TA qualification without doing a level 2 first? I have a PGCE at the moment (didnt get QTS though) but am having trouble getting interviews - been told it is because other people are more qualified. I would like to go straight into doing a level 3, but have been told that this might be possible (althought I have read something that seems to contradict this).
    Thanks

2. Hi
    Does anyone know if I can do a level 3 TA qualification without doing a level 2 first? I have a PGCE at the moment (didnt get QTS though) but am having trouble getting interviews - been told it is because other people are more qualified. I would like to go straight into doing a level 3, but have been told that this might be possible (althought I have read something that seems to contradict this).
    Thanks

3. I'm currently studying for my level 3 qualification, and there are two ladies on my course who haven't taken the level 2.

4. picsgirl

picsgirl New commenter

I'm currently studing for Level 2- I wanted to go straight into L3 but was refused due to lack of experience (I've only been working since Sept, before that was voluntary).
    However, some TA's at my school who have had years of experience went straight into L3.

5. Hi, I had no school experience when I started a level 3 course. The college I went to said that if I had level 2 qualifications in maths and English I could go straight on to do level 3. I completed the two year course in 12 months whilst volunteering at the school that i am now employed at. After being employed for 2 years, I completed my HLTA status and am now employed as HLTA to KS1. Not having level 2 did me no harm whatsoever, it just saved study time!! Good luck

6. I went straight in at Level 3 too. I had relevant work experience and previous level 3+ qualifications.

7. I take it you are meaning Classroom Assistant. If so here in Northern Ireland you can do level 2 and then do level 3 or just do level 3 from the start whichever you want to do. Saying that schools here prefer a level 3 and when advertising for the jobs will say criteria maybe enhanced. I have known a previous teacher to take a C.A. position. You would be better to do level 3. Today our news have announced 160 C.A. to be cut along with 300 teachers to be made redundant this summer. I only got a SEN CA job last June which will last another 2 yrs after temporary jobs for 3 yrs and numerous interviews for permanent work during this time. Good luck to you..

8. Hi, I have just completed Supporting Teaching and Learning level 3 and hadn't done level 2. It's a good course and very relevant to TA's. Good luck!

9. I didn't do my level 2 first, I just did my level 3 [​IMG]

10. I did my level 3 TA qualification without having done my level 2, but I was currently employed as a level 2 TA at the time. I was under the impression that you had to be working as a TA to be able to undertake the qualification in the first place, whereas, to do the level 2 qualification, voluntary work within a school was sufficient.

11. There were plenty of people on my Level 3 course who did not have TA employment but had voluntary placements (for at least 100 hours).

I started off at Level 3 too, but was required to show either GCSE/O Level passes in Maths and English or take a Level 2 test in both.

12. From speaking to my level 3 tutor the answer is yes. It depends on the requirements of the college/adult learning facility running the course. I suggest contacting the level 3 providers and explain your situation.

13. Hi - I took my Level 3 Teaching assistant qualification without taking my Level 2. They are introducing several new qualifications for TA's to achieve. NVQ 3 is now done a lot by observations (mine was evidence in a portfolio and 3 observations and 3 essays) , it took me 9 months to complete. Other TA's at my school have taken it the new way by observation and a little evidence in paperwork it took them 6 months. You can do the NVQ 3 TA qualification at our local college - I did mine at nightschool paid for by my school. Good luck - you do need it if you are going to work your way up the professional development ladder for TAs. I am now a Senior TA/Cover Supervisor.

14. hi,
    the level of qualification you can take depends on what your current job role can evidence. as it is an evidence based qualification. so for example you could be a level 2 ta and still do the level 3 qualfication (asuming you are referring to nvq 3?) some level 2 ta's do more than others - ie take small groups out of class to do extra literacy/maths - so therefore you can evidence more.

you should have some sort of assesment session in which the people running the course decide which is best for you - the 2 or the 3.

good luck!

15. Hi there - no need to do Level 2 with pgce - I went straight to Level 3 with Foundation Degree - a Cache Certificate (when I did it 4 years ago) was 2 written assignments - you will find it a walk in the park - interviews should not be a problem - why are others more qualified? - is it that they have more practical experience? - try to get a job in wrap-round-care over the summer holidays - that may help

16. Think you are right, having just Googled 'Supporting Teaching and Learning Level 3' one website states:
    "The level 2 course could be used by volunteer workers within the schools provided they cover sufficient breadth of responsibilities for supporting teaching and learning. It is highly unlikely that volunteers would have the breadth and level of responsibilities needed to complete the level 3 in supporting teaching and learning in schools."

Having done Level 2 and not having found a job I planned to do the level 3 course but am now not sure if I have enough experience!

17. Hi! I am to be assesed for a level 3. Can anyone please tell me what type of numeracy literacy questions we may be asked? We will be assesed in ICT too,has anyone else done that as well?