1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3 qualifications for post 16 learners

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by JoshuaSandeman, Jun 20, 2019.

1. JoshuaSandeman

JoshuaSandeman New commenter

Currently undertaking the old b-tec nationals 2010 for my post 16 learners and am potentially looking for a change and needed some advice on what other people recommend.

Had a look at the new b-tec courses, the aqa t courses and Cambridge technicals but wanted to hear from people that were actually teaching it and what they advice.

Thank you

2. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

We do CAM TEC IT(2016), so far so good. The exams in the first series were a bit of a 'mare, but they have settled down now. This year we had particularly good results, nothing below merit. We have had good advice from the visiting moderator, re work load and presenting evidence, in all my colleague that delivers the course says it is easier than the level 2 creative iMedia course. The other thing is that the optional units are interesting, for some reason students thing the hardware unit is great(just build a PC and test it), they also enjoy the augmented and Virtual reality unit, most build a 360 tour of the school using Google Tour creator.

ParakeetGreen likes this.
  3. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

I don't have a comprehensive view so can comment with limitation only.

CTEC Level 3 has some engaging/interesting ICT units eg Networking, Website, Security mixed with a few more "business" style units. It is a good fit with the business qualification (which some students tend to take with this course). Overall it leans heavily on "Report Writing" which is a shame as it could more easily be a more Practical subject (if resources and materials are available and time). But as with anything like this, it all ends up becoming streamlined towards the assessment criteria which in turn needs standardization for scaling across all schools for large numbers of students and that becomes the focus of the course. Which means paperwork and thence the bureaucracy around that... .

The assessment paperwork as with most of these is a lot of Overhead to ensure all the boxes are ticked and everything is watertight with respect to sampling being representative and agreed with the examiners. It runs for one more year then ends Aug 2020. On 25th June (Tues) there are conferences around the UK on the future of the courses and the changes. Again a 4-5-6 year cycle of shifting things around as with most curricula constructs due to the assessment cycle.

4. ParakeetGreen

ParakeetGreen New commenter

Thanks for the tip for that unit. Sounds brilliant. Agree, the hardware "build a pc" is popular unit and software installation of an OS again is full of interesting/stimulating potential as well. Additionally I'd like to do more on the networking and have a "lab" for them. I hope next year I can contribute to comprehensive investigation ready for students in these areas that they will gain a great deal from experiencing.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  5. dalersmith

dalersmith Occasional commenter

We did the networking first time we ran the course, whilst we got some reasonable grades there were difficulties modelling systems wise. It was actually the moderator that suggested we change tack towards the AR/VR unit. I also would agree on the report heavy side, but if it says stuff like present an idea, video students presenting their presentations, saves them typing up tonnes of notes.