1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3 qualification to be a lunchtime supervisor!?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by galerider123, Nov 10, 2017.

1. galerider123

galerider123 Established commenter

Lunch Time Supervisor job vacancy in *****, Temporary position
    ITN Mark Education are looking for a committed lunchtime supervisor for a school in ******

Seen today on ITN mark education

Successful lunchtime supervisors will:

• Understand the school's safeguarding policies and follow procedures accurately
    • Ensure children are engaged in healthy and inclusive activities
    • Have an approachable nature, building good relationships with all pupils and staff.
    • Provide immediate first aid when required
    • Uphold the rules of the school and model expected behaviour at all times
    • Have recent experience of supporting children in a primary school setting

To be considered for this role it would be advantageous if you: - Level 3 qualified in childcare (or working towards) - Relevant experience in a primary school (minimum 3 months experience required) - Demonstrate good communication skills both orally and written - The flexibility to work as and when required - Live within a reasonable travelling distance to the school - Have a positive attitude to working as part of a team.

Reasons that this is ridiculous.
    Because you need to be committed but they won't. Because you need to be ridiculously overqualified. Because, having worked in a school you know that playtime is where most of the worst misbehaviour can occur. Because 6 hours a week will barely pay much more than your bus fare if you live further away than ALL THEIR PARENTS AND THEIR LOCAL COMMUNITY, the natural source of lunchtime supervisors countrywide, and you need to keep a roof over your head. Because their job advert is putting unecessary barriers up to people who could do an excellent job, and be far more committed to being a lunchtime supervisor.
    I don't know why this has incensed me so much, but it has.
    Don't get me started on most TA jobs being advertised for graduates, or even as routes into teaching (level 3 jobs replaced by a level 2 paid graduates or even exhausted ex teachers), apart from SEN level 2 jobs these days, or my head might just explode.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Established commenter

galerider, the bullet points at the start of the ad are fine (except the last one) ... but I totally agree with you about the level 3 qualification! And you don't need previous experience for the role, just a willingness to learn 'on the job'. I would leave the first five points as they are and add a final one 'Be willing to undertake first aid training and other CPD as required'. Job done!

3. galerider123

@sunshineneeded I agree that those are the qualities that you might want, generally
    I just wanted to post the whole thing, so you could see what was pinned on at the end. The presumption that someone already working (recently) in school (they would have to to get their level 2 or 3 qualification) would be in a position to accept this was the bit that got my hackles up.
    Do you think that this is from the school, or something that the recruitment agency has added to give "added value" to their clients? Why are the school even using a recruitment agency for a 6 hour a week lunchtime supervisor position?
    It has to be someone local, or it is not worth doing. A notice up in the school reception/a letter to parents would be far more likely to get a response IOM. It beggars belief. I am thinking of starting a thread of ridiculous job adverts in education.

4. Wotton

Wotton Established commenter

I wonder if it is for the person in charge. If the level of pay reflects the level 3 requirement then for someone it may be the right job even if it is only a few hours. If the pay level is at the grade they pay "dinner ladies" in my LA then NO!.Often now in my LA the TA job comes with lunchtime supervision hours paid at the lower rate.

galerider123 likes this.
  5. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

Because their job advert is putting unecessary barriers up to people who could do an excellent job, and be far more committed to being a lunchtime supervisor.

- And this is exactly why i tend to avoid agency based advertisements. ITN Marks im afraid i find to be quite over the top with their requirements but im afraid this takes the biscuit.

They are exploiting this dire situation thats out there. I have actually viewed a few lunchtime supervisor roles via the council and the person specs are not THIS intensive.

6. pickles124

pickles124 Established commenter

I think im pretty good at spotting crazy job adverts and just swerve round them. You can usually tell them a mile off. This is a prime example.

I don't think the school has put this together. Looks to me like a recruitment consultant has done this.

Whats your opinion on cover supervisor/progress coach roles which are the same salary pay as a Level 3 TA?

galerider123 likes this.
  7. snugglepot

snugglepot Occasional commenter

Unless they are thinking that some of the TAs might apply. Some of our TAs work from 9am -1pm. It might appeal to those just wanting 16 hrs a week. I grant you it is unusual.

galerider123 likes this.
  8. galerider123

Good thought. And they want a TA to get it rather than a parent possibly. The only reason that I thought that a qualified TA might take it temporarily might be as a foot in the door to some TA work.

9. Gsr25

Gsr25 Occasional commenter

An MSA role got my foot in the door at a school. It seems I’ve started a trend as 3 more MSAs are now following my lead!

10. sunshineneeded

Many of our local schools are now cutting down on meals supervisors (as they leave, no redundancies yet). New and established TAs have been required to change their work patterns to cover 45 mins of lunch time. They then have half an hour lunch break. It hasn't been very popular with TAs who have been in the role for a long time. The reasons given are that TAs have more training, know the children better, have a greater understanding of school policies and procedures, have a better understanding of SEND and the children 'respect' them more. SLTs suggest it makes for better continuity through the day. I accept that there is probably truth in all of that, but I'm still glad no-one has asked me to do regular lunch duty .... yet!

11. galerider123

The bottom line is that they are doing this to "save" money unless they are paying TAs for that extra 15 minutes at lunch time, by effectively getting TAs to do the work for nothing. Never mind the fluff.

12. galerider123

Sorry to be dim, MSA? Is that a dinner supervisor's proper title? (In which case, what does it stand for?)

13. sunshineneeded

Yes, TAs are being paid the extra time or adjusting their hours to come in later or leave earlier .... as you can imagine, not popular with class teachers either!
    I know the title as MMS - Midday Meals Supervisor. Not sure what MSA would be.

galerider123 likes this.
  14. Trekkie

Trekkie New commenter

Midday Supervisory Assistant :)

olunchick and galerider123 like this.