1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 3 BTEC in music

Discussion in 'Music' started by sheenabeena, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi
    I have now had 2 Edexcel courses for this cancelled. Am really needing some help from someone who has been running this course. Think my students would be better with more of the music performance units / composition.
    Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    Sheena

2. Hi
    I have now had 2 Edexcel courses for this cancelled. Am really needing some help from someone who has been running this course. Think my students would be better with more of the music performance units / composition.
    Can anyone help please?

Thanks
    Sheena

3. I seem to be running this course, albeit with quite weak students!
    What do you need? Am in the middle of Ofsted at the mo, so anything major I can answer tomorrow night!

4. Hurrah - thankyou. Any advice would be good - when you can.
    Which units work the best (our students are mainly week too but better at performing and some interested in doing musical theatre). Instruments are mainly singing/guitar/voice/keyboard. Can we link to drama and dance level 3 units? Have you got a long term plan I could look at to see how you break it up? Where are you - is it near west midlands so I could visit?
    I have to do a taster session for them for 1 1/2 hours - what would you recommend for that too?
    Not much then......
    Good luck with Ofsted
    Thanks again
    Sheena

5. Hi Sheena, i'm assuming that you have had a look through the specifications on line to see which units you have to deliver - mandatory and optional - but you have a fair amount of choice on the rest. You can import units from Performing Arts or from later in the structure (dependent on whether you plan to run the subsidiary diploma/diploma/extended diploma) but you have to apply for this through edexcel and fill in a local needs form. You are also only allowed to import a certain percentage of the course from other areas not listed on the spec. There is a Level 3 assignment pack in my resources for Music performance but I didn't choose the Composing strand in the end, some units will be common.

6. Further info in your inbox :)