1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 2 or level 3 TA course?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by Romzy5, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Romzy5

Romzy5 New commenter

Hi all
    This is my first thread here I’ve enrolled on the level 2 teaching assistant course with my local college. I had previously attempted to study the level 3 via distance learning, however felt there wasn’t much tutor support with the company I studied with. I did however manage to do some volunteering with the year six students at my local Primary school which I absolutely loved. My question is by doing the level 2 course A) will I be able to get into a paid TA job and B) if so will the pay be less as apposed to if I did the level 3?

Many Thanks everyone

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Lead commenter

Yes, you should be able to secure a TA role with a level 2 qualification. At our school, you would be paid slightly less than if you had a level 3. In our LA, TA salaries are paid on the APTC scale: L2 TAs are paid at scale 2 and L3s at scale 3. If you then went on to study for your L3, your salary would increase when you qualified.
    Enjoy your course - several students I have known have managed to get jobs at their placement schools, so make sure you impress them when the time comes!

3. Romzy5

Romzy5 New commenter

Thank you so much for your reply sunshineneeded yes I’m going to do a level 3 in special education needs hopefully that should count.

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Pay may not increase with a change in your level, it is all dependent on the school. They may continue to pay you as level 2 even when you have completed level 3 as they will say the job you applied for was for level 2. I got to the top of the grade I was paid at and couldn't move to the next grade no matter what my PM showed.
    It would allow you to apply for jobs advertised at a higher level. In my old LA the advertised all TA jobs at the lower level.