1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 2 BTEC Firsts in Information & Creative Technology from 2012

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by shaz2009, Feb 13, 2012.

1. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

Hi Folks
    I have heard of the new BTEC ICT course for 2012, been looking at this course and its just been released, just wondering if anyone else is going to start this course for their students.
    Its looking like we will be doing the course this coming September, there are training events currently being arranged, however my main worries are the resources which are none at this stage,
    We are looking to spend our budget but because there is nothing for this course, we cannot really spend on anything, anyone else have any ideas?
    website for the new course: http://www.edexcel.com/QUALS/FIRSTS2012/Pages/default.aspx
    Thank you
    Shaz

2. We are offering this course as an option and I think I will be running it from September.
    I've looked through what little information they have released and quite like the look of it. Will keep my eye out for any courses/material or resources that are made available.

Anyone else offering this or found anything useful ?

3. I liked the look of it, however I can't find it on the latest DfE list of approved qualifications...

4. That's because it isn't on the list.....
    Does anyone know why not?
    Are EdExcel appealing the DFE decision?

5. It's by far the best KS4 course available in my opinion...
    ...but it won't count towards league tables unlike the (not so good) Cambridge Nationals. EdExcel are appealing this but I'm not holding my breath.

6. That is my point! I really liked it but doubt they will get the appeal.

7. http://www.edexcel.com/quals/firsts10/it/pages/viewNotice.aspx?notice=2745

Does this help at all?

8. Sadly not. "Once the DfE publishes the final List, we will be in contact again to confirm the List status for our new NQF BTEC First Awards, and what support is available for you and your centre." OK thanks - get on with it then!

9. Hi

I'm teaching from September, in need of some schemes of work too. Please let me know if anyone has some.

10. shaz2009

shaz2009 New commenter

I have heard the same news, we had a Edexcel adviser come to school last thursday and said the same thing, Edexel are appealing the issue.

11. Apparently they are appealing this but the list is already final. The appeal is only for the inclusion of I&CT in the 2015 league tables. Bad news.

12. Actually suits my school perfectly.
    Current year 9s, who are on the old spec, which is in the list, get cashed in 2014 when they finish year 11 and count towards league tables.
    Next year's year 9's start the new spec and are cashed in in 2015 and also count towards league tables (assuming appeal is successful).
    Win Win.
    It is interesting that last years specification, which does not include an externally examined component, did make this year's list where as the new specification, with its 120 GLHs and externally examined component didn't. Looks like someone messed up!