1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 1 TA-Too many responsibilities?

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by AnnaPln, Jun 12, 2020.

1. AnnaPln

AnnaPln New commenter

So Iv started a new job as a Level 1 TA not too long ago. I wanted a Level 1 as I want to go into teaching later on so just wanted some experience in a school before and didnt want too big of a commitment. (Ideally in a classroom support setting)

The job advert was just for a basic TA Level 1 position, but when I first started it wasnt really made clear what my role actually is. I was just sort of shadowing random classes for 3 weeks. I was then given this intervention box and Iv been given a list of 25 children to work 1:1 with. So daily Iv been asked to do 10/11 quite complex interventions per day. Then I have also been asked to lead a morning session, where 20/30 children sit on computers and do a reading programme, everyday with just me in the IT suite.

My question is, is this not way too much for a Level 1 position? The person that has also applied with me for the same position, is supporting a child in a class daily. The other TA’s (even higher levels) seem to also be doing one to one classroom support with some group reading sessions sometimes. I feel that my role here is more similar to the jobs that HLTA’s do at this school, in regards to having my own intervention timetable and sessions.

I recently have been told by a work friend that the position that I am in was advertised as Level 2 alongside the Level 1 position i actually applied for (I do remember there being a level 2 position on the same date but i didnt read it as I was interested in level 1). So it seems that iv been given the level 2 role but still getting level 1 pay?

Its my first role at a school so not sure what responsibilities are expected of all levels so any help would be good

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi AnnaPin, congratulations on getting the job! Competition is tough today, you must have impressed at interview.

Your question is a very difficult one - schools can set their own responsibilities for every role. If you are planning to go into teaching in future, I assume you have good academic qualifications - it might not be right, but this can also influence what you are asked to do. Are you enjoying the role? Taking on that many interventions plus what is effectively whole class cover will be great experience for the future.

Have a good look at your job description. A JD can't cover everything you could possibly be asked to do, but things should be at the same level of responsibility. If you feel you are being asked to take on tasks which are way over and above your JD, find a time to talk to your line manager about it. If you are relatively new, you may be on probation and have a formal meeting at the end of this time - this could be a good opportunity.

One thing - while the interventions happen everywhere, it is not usual for a Level 1 TA to cover a class on their own. Are other TAs doing this? You could also talk to your line manager about this and ask if it would be possible to have another TA to share the cover with you.

Good luck - let us know how you are getting on.

3. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Such is the life of a TA. I to remember doing the same work as others who were on a higher rate.If you are doing it for the experience I'd stick at it. It will certainly enhance your application when you apply for teaching.

stargirl81 and sunshineneeded like this.
  4. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Established commenter

Everywhere I have ever worked would expect this of a level 1 TA.

stargirl81 likes this.