1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Level 1 reading comprehension

Discussion in 'Primary' started by minnieminx, Jan 5, 2012.

1. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Does anyone know where I can get some comprehension sheets or exercises for children working at level 1?

I have some good ones, but they start at a 2c, which is too hard for some of my class at the moment. Should be fine when they used to comprehensions, but isn't ok at the moment.

Thank you.

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant NC level 1.

Thanks for trying.

4. http://www.superteacherworksheets.com/1st-comprehension.html

Some of the sheets have the odd American spelling so just make sure you check them carefully. xxx

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I saw those and yes wondered about the Americanisms. But even they are a little hard for my lowest readers.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I think to be honest the concept of getting my Y1s (most of whom are NC level 1) to sit down and do a comprehension exercise like that is a bit alien. I would teach comprehension through verbal questions and answer sessions. Obviously this may not fit what you need as I'm guessing you want it as an independent activity.

7. Minnie, what about
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Early-Comprehension-Book-Anne-Forster/dp/0721709176/ref=pd_sim_b_1
    and
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1407100505
    I have the second one and it has lots of picture based comprehensions with questions after and these are the type I use for my middle to lower ones.
    Having said that I don't start my level 1s (b and c really) on written comprehension at this stage. I focus on them being able to talk about the book still. My feeling is that it can create a bit of a barrier to what they want to say etc because their writing is usually quite poor, so can be a struggle. Just my take on it though. My 1as would have a better chance though.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you both.

My very lowest do only do oral comprehension tasks with an adult. But those only just reading at a level 2c who haven't done written comprehensions before have found the 2c comprehensions too tricky. I just need some easier ones to start them off really. Once they get the hang of what is needed, I think they'll be fine.

And they need to start doing them because they are year 2 and have SATs and so will do the reading papers in my school. I'm not going to debate the rights and wrongs of 6 year old new readers doing reading tests cos I might give up entirely!

9. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I've dipped into the Scholastic book and there are some very easybeginner sheets.

10. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Really? I went for the other ones, thinking the general year 1/2 would just have lots of level 2. The KS1 pack I have starts with 2c and goes up.

Hmmm wonder whether to have both...

Actually at a starting price of £97 I don't think I'll have the scholastic just now!

11. mystery10

mystery10 Occasional commenter

Do you mean level 1 reading or writing?
    Just a parent so I don't know anything much about this. Would a mid to low level 1 reader and writer be better off practising simple written comprehension exercises, or spending the same time learning to read and write at a higher level, and developing their comprehension via other methods?

12. Cupsy

Cupsy New commenter

The literacy Rising Star assessements have got reading comprehensions in and start from year 1, they might be worth a look for level 1 examples.

13. markuss

markuss Occasional commenter

National Curriculum Level 1 Reading:
    "Pupils recognise familiar words in simple texts. They use their knowledge of letter and sound-symbol relationships in order to read words and establish meaning when reading alloud. In these activities they sometimes require suppport. They express their response to poems, stories and non-fiction by identifying aspects they like.
    Reading "comprehensions" really come in for children in Level 2.

14. The Red Heron

The Red Heron New commenter

Yes agree with that. The idea that L1 readers should be doing written comp seems very odd. Let the poor so.ds read, enjoy and laugh at a few books and generally discuss them with each other and the adults. Getting them to write about it formally symbolises everything that is wrong with the pressures of modern primary education

15. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To those of you criticsing minnie's desire for level 1 comprehension papers, she does explain she need them for level<u> 2</u> students just to introduce them to the concept of comprehension but using easier texts and questions. presumably to build up their confidence before moving them on to level 2 texts.

16. Minnie, don't forget you can choose for children to do the SATs Level 2 task, where they don't need to write anything. I am sure you already know this, but it's worth hanging on to that for those who are borderline.

17. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Thank you all for your advice and ideas. I don't mind the criticism too much because there are some things I am less sure about, being new to KS1.

I have ordered the books from one of the links here for ideas of more pictorial comprehensions which will work in terms of the concept of understanding and responding. I don't always have a TA anymore for GR, so they can't always chat and enjoy books with a TA at that time.

All advice, however critical, (so long as it is polite and kind) is welcome.

18. I have been writing my own for Y2s, as HT wants comprehensions to reflect the topic and not be "out of a book". Sometimes I find one that is vaguely suitable "in a book" but I usually find the questions are rubbish (all retrieval and no inferrence), so write my own anyway... basing it on an existing comprehension passage, a section of class reader, or some non-fict about the topic.
    We read it together as a whole class. The more able readers then work independently and I work with a group of the weaker readers. I have been pleasantly surprised at how well the majority of the children have done with it. I was initially worried about them coping with the level of reading.
    It sounds like a lot of work, but I find it quicker than trawling through the available comprehension books in school. I am getting more efficient too. I always add an open ended extension task for the fast finishers.
    SP

19. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Can I ask wheat u use at the moment Minnie minx

20. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Sun painter do u have any examples