1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letting go...

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by thekillers1, Oct 11, 2016.

1. thekillers1

thekillers1 Lead commenter

After been offered a teaching position starting later this academic year, how does one forget and possibly forgive all the turmoil experiences at one or two schools? I have fought to regain my confidence and ability as a teacher and managed to secure good or better references from the temporary work sustained from a number of schools. In addition, the lesson observation (from the interview) was deemed as 'good with outstanding features' and the other interview related activities was extremely well received. Do I feel cheated from previous positions which should have been mine? Less now compared to previous months. However, I was wondering whether individuals have advice or experience to enhance this discussion in a more positive direction. Peace x

phlogiston and pepper5 like this.
  2. Chanteuse

Chanteuse Occasional commenter

Firstly, congratulations! Well done you for getting the permanent post. I know you have been frustrated lately with the lack of work on supply. I think the most important thing for you to do is to treat this new school like the clean slate it is; don't spoil it with worries about the horrible experience you have had in the past.

thekillers, Laphroig, pepper5 and 2 others like this.
  3. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

I am really pleased for you @thekillers.

You will start to recover from the previous rejections as the new post starts to become more real. Just go in and do your best- ensure you understand the marking, planning and behaviour policies.

4. thekillers1

Admittedly, it's a temporary contract; however, the advice and comment has been welcomed.

pepper5 and slingshotsally like this.
  5. thekillers1

Having agreed with this remark, I have requested for a meeting on planning, marking and behavioral expectations with a senior leader. There is also a planned transitional period between me and the class teacher. Again, thank you for the kind comment :)

pepper5 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  6. thekillers1

This has been more than challenging this academic year!

slingshotsally likes this.
  7. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Cheated out of previous positions?

Well, nobody has a right to a job. Better people than you or I will have been turned down for being too expensive, too feisty, not feisty enough, too academic, not academic enough, too old, too young, too male, too female.

You weren't cheated. You just didn't get them for any one of a myriad reasons. Nonsensical or otherwise.

You're a good teacher. Hold your head up. You haven't come this far and started again just to get cold feet now. You've done the hard yards so now you just get in there and get on with it like everybody else. You're as good as they are. Plus you have the famed 'resilience' which everyone reckons is something very valuable and something we wish we could teach the children.

8. install

install Star commenter

Yes do you feel cheated and this will 'eat you up' unless you draw a line. Teaching is just a job. - no more and no less.Be happy with your life - and being happy must never ever be only reliant on what happens at work.

Better to live in the present - the past has gone. Just don't to turn into the people that have blocked you along the way, and should someone in the future feel hard done by and need your support on the way up then give it ....treat them how you thought you would be treated..Be happy...and be positive.

9. dacosme

dacosme New commenter

I know it may sound like a bit of a cliché but time is a healer and I'm a firm believer of what doesn't kill you will only make your stronger. So whilst you may still feel bruised, the bruises will heal and you be left with a life lesson - all of life experiences are learning opportunities and if you see things this you will no longer feel aggrieved. You have already ridden the tide so now focus on what's to come.

10. slingshotsally

slingshotsally Star commenter

It's another step to building your confidence, adding to your reservoir of positive experiences and good references.

A temporary contract is a great way to rebuild/reboot/recharge your career.

thekillers and grumpydogwoman like this.
  11. thekillers1

You're 100% correct. The bold quotes reinforces my agreement to your statements :)

12. thekillers1

Additionally, a sound reason for leaving is a lot shown, thus avoiding additional awkward reasons.

13. thekillers1

Thank you :)

14. thekillers1

This song needs to be played across the TES in response to the personal yet recent success :)

15. princesslegend

princesslegend Occasional commenter

Congratulations!
    I understand exactly where you are coming from. I had a dreadful experience in a school and it put me off and sent me on a downward spiral for months. Simply being there, as well as being subjected to the bullying and criticism day in day out, did untold damage to my career. I still haven't fully got my career back on track - every day is progress, though.

All I can say is that you need to draw a line under it and move on. You've had good observations - take your pleasure from those.

You have a job - go do it and do it well. If you live in the past, you will never make progress.

Best wishes,

Princesslegend xxxx

16. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

Could you have a weekend away, doing something enjoyable or relaxing before you start the new role? Try to mark the movement from one phase of your life to the next.

17. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Let it go.

Look, I'm the grandmother of a 5-year old girl. Nobody is getting out of here without "Frozen". Nobody.

Don't let them in,
    don't let them see
    Be the good girl you always have to be

Conceal, don't feel,
    don't let them know
    Well now they know

Let it go, let it go
    Can't hold it back anymore

Let it go, let it go
    Turn away and slam the door
    I don't care
    what they're going to say
    Let the storm rage on.
    The cold never bothered me anyway

It's funny how some distance
    Makes everything seem small
    And the fears that once controlled me
    Can't get to me at all

It's time to see what I can do
    To test the limits and break through

No right, no wrong, no rules for me,
    I'm free!

Let it go, let it go
    I am one with the wind and sky

Let it go, let it go
    You'll never see me cry
    Here I stand
    And here I'll stay
    Let the storm rage on

My power flurries through the air into the ground
    My soul is spiraling in frozen fractals all around
    And one thought crystallizes like an icy blast
    I'm never going back, the past is in the past

Let it go, let it go
    And I'll rise like the break of dawn
    Let it go, let it go
    That perfect girl is gone
    Here I stand
    In the light of day
    Let the storm rage on

The cold never bothered me anyway!

18. install

install Star commenter

Let it go - let it go.

thekillers and grumpydogwoman like this.
  19. thekillers1

Wise words Princess Legend. In addition, those experiences were almost identical after working in a idiotic school with senior leaders who were out of their depth (I told them what they were expecting was ineffective, resulting in me leaving with poor memories! In fact, I revisited their school website and discovered their test results were, in my opinion, way below national standards. Although I built my house on solid ground, I'd always claimed that building a house on sand seems nice, yet the waves is one thing to worry but beware of what the ground may do.

20. thekillers1

Excellent idea!