1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letting down my SCITT/Schools Direct School?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Antoncrabapple, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Antoncrabapple

Antoncrabapple New commenter

So I am a career changer (39yo) and I am scheduled to begin my Schools Direct teacher training at a very nice 'Outstanding' school in September. I did some days there last term, and the staff from my department have been in touch over the summer and are being really accommodating. I also have a somewhat personal relationship with the Headmaster- our parents were close friends when we were much younger.

Then this week a job has been posted at a very prestigious private school in the town where I live. The position also welcomes applicants without formal teaching qualifications. When I got in contact with the school they said that in the second year, if I had passed my probation period, they would fund my PGCE.

Would it be highly unprofessional of me to even apply for this job? Would my host school lose out a lot financially if I bailed at this late stage?

In my heart of hearts I feel I would probably end up in the private sector eventually. Whilst having experience in the state sector would be really beneficial to my development as a teacher, I quite like the idea of not having to fork out about £15000 for my training!

(I also understand the chances of me actually getting the job are pretty low!)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. MrMedia

MrMedia Star commenter

Although it is annoying...Plenty pull out before the start. We call it attrition. Because of a COVID we are expecting a a higher attrition rate this year. School Direct is a misnomer. It can be a full PGCE and QTS or just a very light QTS only. If it was salaried SD then you’d be in a different position.
    You won’t lose out from applying, but be aware that indies are ruthless. They are businesses, not just schools. So what they promise in the future is relying on future finances. Lastly, the debt (as Martin Lewis is currently really getting annoyed about) is not debt. It’s a 9% tax rate payable above the usual amount of around 22k. You’ll never pay it all back. The more you earn the more you pay.

VickyCat likes this.
  3. Antoncrabapple

Antoncrabapple New commenter

Thanks Mr Media!

4. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

As previously said lots of potential trainee teachers do not start their courses. It sounds like you have a good reason for considering a change of plans. However, f you do get offered the job get it in writing that they will support you through PGCE if you pass your probation. If it does not work out you can always then apply for a PGCE at a university rather than the School Direct option.