1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Letting down my SCITT/Schools Direct School?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Antoncrabapple, Jul 21, 2020.

1. Antoncrabapple

Antoncrabapple New commenter

Hello everyone,

So I am a career changer (39yo) and I am scheduled to begin my Schools Direct teacher training at a very nice 'Outstanding' school in September. I did some days there last term, and the staff from my department have been in touch over the summer and are being really accommodating. I also have a somewhat personal relationship with the Headmaster- our parents were close friends when we were much younger.

Then this week a job has been posted at a very prestigious private school in the town where I live. The position also welcomes applicants without formal teaching qualifications. When I got in contact with the school they said that in the second year, if I had passed my probation period, they would fund my PGCE.

Would it be highly unprofessional of me to even apply for this job? Would my host school lose out a lot financially if I bailed at this late stage?

In my heart of hearts I feel I would probably end up in the private sector eventually. Whilst having experience in the state sector would be really beneficial to my development as a teacher, I quite like the idea of not having to fork out about £15000 for my training!

(I also understand the chances of me actually getting the job are pretty low!)

Any thoughts greatly appreciated.

2. peakster

peakster Star commenter

How do you know you can teach in the first place. ?

Professor Dumbledore likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

If you don't pass the probation period, not only will they not fund your PGCE the following year (do they mean PGCE, by the way, or do they mean one of the other routes?), but you'll also struggle to get a Schools Direct place. So you do need to be really confident that you can do the job. It is a bit of a gamble - you might get the private school job, do well, and stay all your life in private schools. But if it doesn't work out, it's going to be that much harder to find a state school post, even if they have helped you get QTS (schools may be unsure about taking someone with no state school experience whatsoever).

sabrinakat, Stiltskin and peakster like this.
  4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

You do need to be careful as Frustum said - if it doesn't work out for you then your route into teaching will be a very hard one.

Also you need to be a bit careful about training in private schools unless you are sure that is where you are likely to stay. There are (sometimes invalid) perceived advantages of working in private schools - but also many pitfalls. If you did decide to move into the state sector in a few years time - without any other experience it may make your life very difficult. I'm not (thank god) a HT but if I was in a state school and I was looking at applicants I wouldn't even consider someone whose experience was all in the private sector.

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Quite apart from the moral and indeed legal issues (you do realise that, even if you haven't signed a contract, you are contractually bound to the first school and would thus be in breach of contract?), there is the practical one.

Quite simply, you need to get yourself qualified and trained first and foremost. Which route would give the better assurance of that? Sticking with what has been arranged and agreed.

Move on to pastures new later, when you are a qualified and trained teacher.

That's it.

Best wishes

Twitter: @Theo_Griff

Stiltskin likes this.
  6. Antoncrabapple

Guys, thanks so much for your replies. You gave me perspectives that I hadn't thought of.

Tbh applying didn't sit all that well with me anyway. I think reading all the pre-course handbooks etc really put me off, plus the coming year of liberty.

I appreciate your feedback.

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Be prepared for a year like you've never experienced.

8. Antoncrabapple

9. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I was a University researcher who became a teacher in my late 20s.

Quite a change of pace that was.

10. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Ahhhh you'll have a ball!

And you can always pray that the person the independent takes on doesn't work out (for a really nice and lovely reason, so you aren't a horrid person) and you can join them next September when they won't need to pay for a PGCE. Win for everyone.

Teaching is fab, and TES is a great source of advice and support, so make time to post and read here.
    And join FB groups in your subject/phase (even if you hate social media, FB are amazing for work).

Sooo excited for you, teaching is an amazingly fab job.

Pomza likes this.
  11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Be enthusiastic - I can remember when I started I really was keen to get going.

A lot of young teachers coming into the job now seem to lack any sense of enthusiasm right from the start.

12. Antoncrabapple

* that meant to say coming year of poverty.

I feel really enthusiastic...very keen to get going.

But the course handbook, with all the targets, acronyms and what, atm, seems like gobledigook, is not the most inspirational read!

13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Don't read it.

You get all the experience you need in school.

I got a grant to do my PGCE because it was a shortage subject at the time (still is). I had lots of other issues that year too. Notably the fact that my wife was working in another city during the week and I had my 3 year old daughter to look after in addition to doing my school work.

It was tough - but we made it.

I don't regret it.

DYNAMO67 and Pomza like this.
  14. caterpillartobutterfly

This.
    Totally.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  15. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

Please don't hold this prejudice-one of the best teachers who came to the comp I was (then) working at had been in indies since his PGCE-and he was one of the best teachers ever! His subject knowledge-even in some of the the subjects he didn't officially teach-was beyond anyone's! Given how quickly data/ curricula change, there is't even necessarily any advantage in having a state school teacher from that perspective-I'd expect most teachers to adapt very easily. I generally worked in comps, but I wouldn't say the teachers there are necessarily better or worse-and pupil behaviour wasn't much different in the one indy I worked in.

16. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There is a world of difference between teaching in the state sector and the independent sector.

sabrinakat likes this.
  17. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

And that is...? I'm considering a post advertised for an Indy - can you give some pointers/factors?

18. br0wnsugar

br0wnsugar Occasional commenter

Oh and by the way does anyone know what 0.5 is at secondary?

19. caterpillartobutterfly

The difference in teaching between the two is largely the terms and conditions of employment.
    Teaching children that 2+2=4 and that sentences start with a capital letter is the same in both and simultaneous equations tend to work the same way whatever the parental affluence.

Smaller class sizes can have advantages and disadvantages.
    Behaviour in the better state schools is better than in the worse independents, but the general picture is that behaviour is better in independents.
    There is more freedom in most independents in terms of teaching methods, planning, marking and so on, but this isn't universal.

Have a read on the independent board, there are many threads where people ask the difference.

A teacher will not suddenly become better or worse at teaching because they swap from one sector to the other.

20. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

It is beyond me why anybody would pay this for a pgce course, when there are so many salaried trainee routes, where they’ll pay you instead.